The Walking Dead’ brings TV and comic fans together

A girl is splattered with blood from head to toe. She has a vacant expression on her face and her skin is graying. Dragging one foot behind her, she makes her way through a maze of booths that are selling superhero tee-shirts, figurines, comic books, posters, jewelry and silver wands. Instead of trying to help her, people eagerly smile and point.

“Look, mommy,” screeches a little boy. “Can we take a picture with it?”

Diana Martinez is a 19-year-old student from Roosevelt University, but her love of “The Walking Dead” comic books has turned her into a zombie. 

In January 2013, Diamond Comic Distributors, the largest comic distributer in North America, named “The Walking Dead” 100th issue, written by Robert Kirkman, as the top-selling comic book of 2012. The rising popularity of “The Walking Dead” comic books can be attributed in large part to “The Walking Dead” AMC television series, which has led many fans of the show to become fans of the comic books. 

Matt Streets is the manager of Graham Crackers Comics in Chicago at 77 E. Madison St. Amidst tall skyscrapers, the store stands out with giant pictures on its windows of Spiderman, Captain America and Iron Man watching over people as they walk by.    

Streets said that when the first season of “The Walking Dead” television show came out in 2010, almost immediately sales of “The Walking Dead” comic books started picking up in the store. Then, after the second season came out in 2011, sales picked up even more. He said it wasn’t until this third season came out in 2012, though, that sales of the comic books exploded. Streets said that he expects sales to go up again when season four comes out later this year.

Thirteen Brown Line stops away from Graham Crackers is Chicago Comics, which, according to assistant manager Seth Tucker, has been experiencing an increase of popularity in its “The Walking Dead” comic books too.   

“The Walking Dead television show brings customers into our store that have never been into comic books before,” said Tucker. “They don’t realize that there are comic books without superheroes until they watch the show. We love getting people who are new to comic books. It’s always exciting.”

A paper print issue of “The Walking Dead” comic comes out every month. Tucker said that he has fans that can’t wait for it to come out and they stop by the store asking, “Is it out yet? Isn’t it supposed to be here?”

Mark Beatty, the owner of Dark Tower Comics, located off the Western Brown line stop, said that customers frequently come into his store looking for the earliest issues of “The Walking Dead” comics. After watching the television show, he said they want to start all the way from comic issue number one and then work up to the most recent issue.

Martinez, who dressed as a zombie for the April 27 Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo at McCormick Place, said that she got into “The Walking Dead” comic books after she watched the show.

“I like the comic books better than the show because they have more detail, better character development and I’ve always loved reading,” said Martinez. “I like to read the comics as I’m drinking a cup of tea. It’s perfect.”

Across from Martinez there is a long line of people excitedly waiting to get autographs from Laurie Holden, the actress who plays Andrea on “The Walking Dead” television show. Loud music plays in the background, and occasionally the sound of cheers and boos can be heard from a costume contest that is taking place in another area.

Melanie Buss, 14, has been waiting with her mother to see Holden for 30 minutes.

Buss said that her family likes watching “The Walking Dead” together. After they watched season one, her aunt got them a set of the comic books for Christmas.

“I love zombies,” said Buss with a grin.

“Yeah you do!” said her mother.

“So I loved the comic books as much as the show, if not more,” said Buss. “They just have so much in them and I like learning more about my favorite character in the show, Michonne.”

As the line starts to move, Buss and her mother are discussing Michonne’s fighting abilities. In “The Walking Dead” show and comic books, Michonne is portrayed as a strong, female character.

In another area of the McCormick show floor, people are pointing and laughing at a parade of 12 zombies that are going up to people and staring into their faces.

Looks like Martinez has some new friends.