Fest 2013 finally revealed

The rumors will be put to rest. The anticipation will be over. The student body will let out a collective scream. After months of waiting, students will finally discover who will open and headline for the FEST stage this year at FEST’s “Big Reveal,” set to take place Wednesday, May 8 at 5 p.m. in the Student Center Atrium.

Those who attended this highly anticipated reveal last year most likely remember a fun-filled event, which invited attendees to participate. FEST coordinator, Joe Kosin, recalled last year’s reveal, saying that three teams of two members each engaged in a sort of “obstacle course” in which they searched through various objects to find letters that would spell out the name of the opening and headlining artists. While Kosin appreciated the interactive format of the event, he admitted that it may have lacked excitement for those not participating in the obstacle course and regretted that some students felt the event dragged on a bit.

However, this Wednesday’s “Big Reveal” will be different. Between “Dressed for FEST” and the always-busy week of ticket sales, Kosin and his FEST committee felt that a simpler “Big Reveal” would be best.

“Everyone has stuff to do,” said Kosin, explaining that he wanted to make the 15-minute event “as simple as possible.”

The event itself will consist primarily of videos that will recap the artists on the survey, show the conjectures of a few DePaul students on who they think the opener and headliner will be, and finally, reveal the performers. However, Kosin and the FEST committee created a way to involve the student body with the “Big Reveal” before the time of the event itself. “Guess FEST” invites students to tweet the name of the artists that they think will perform on the FEST stage with the hashtag “#GuessFEST” at the “DePaulFEST” handle.

“We will be re-tweeting a lot too to get people exposure and keep students on their toes,” said Kosin.

Students who guess the correct artists will then be entered in a drawing to win a free pair of FEST tickets, and the winners will be announced at “The Big Reveal.”

Kosin anticipates that this Twitter campaign, in addition with the “Big Reveal” itself, will create a lot of internet buzz for FEST: “Social media will blow up,” he said.

While the obvious purpose of the “Big Reveal” is to let the student body know about this year’s FEST performers, it will also be a great event to reinforce and promote DAB’s sponsorship of DePaul’s very own 24-hour dance marathon event, DemonTHON. As one of DemonTHON’s biggest sponsors, Kosin explained that “DAB has been able to establish a really good relationship with DemonTHON,” particularly in coordinating certain aspects of production.

One such aspect is bringing in one of Chicago’s most-popular D.J.s, D.J. Zebo, to perform at DemonTHON at 10 p.m. Kosin described D.J. Zebo as a “great guy,” adding, “He’s very excited to do a charitable event and give a good show to the students of DePaul.”

While this Wednesday’s “Big Reveal” will be a short, sweet, and to the point, the news it has to deliver is anything but “low-key.” Get tweeting, DePaul! Will you be the one to “Guess FEST”?