St. Vincent’s DeJAMZ 4-29-13

This week we sat down with sophomore Andy Marsh to put his expert DJ skills to use in order to create a playlist dedicated to electronic, dubstep and house music.

1. “If I Lose Myself” by Alesso & One Republic – “House is becoming so mainstream that a lot more bands are testing the water in that genre, so to speak,” said Marsh. “This song is a fusion between pop rock and house.” What we love about this track is its focus on the melodious vocals, which are easy to sing along to, and use of the synth to get you to dance along as well.

2. “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams – “These guys are electronic legends,” said Marsh. “It was even rumored that they would make a surprise appearance at Coachella, but that never happened.”  This is the first single the French duo has released since they dropped the soundtrack for “Tron: Legacy” in 2010. Fans eagerly welcomed their return, making “Get Lucky” the most played song in a single day on Spotify, according to NME.  It’s no wonder people have been streaming single this repeatedly. Its unexpected feel-good funky spin alludes to the possibility of more surprises to come on the forthcoming album, “Random Access Memories.” 

3. “As Your Friend” by Afrojack feat. Chris Brown – “Afrojack has been one of the leaders of bringing electronic music into the mainstream by partnering up with pop artists, like Chris Brown,” said Marsh.  Although Brown has become something of a hip-hop bad boy in recent years, he brings his charm to the vocals in this song. Our verdict: an instant dancefloor hit.

4.  “Holdin’ On” by Monsta (Skrillex & Nero Remix) – “This song features different vocals from your typical dubstep song,” said Marsh. Nero’s vocals combine with Skrillex’s aggressive beats to create a head-banging track, a little different from the direction most dubstep songs seem to take these days.  

5. “Sundown” by Chris Lake – “A lot of people might recognize this song from the Relive Ultra 2012 video, which took months to produce,” said Marsh. Marsh also pointed out that dubstep isn’t necessarily easy listening, but this song’s mild enough to get you to dip your toes into the genre.  It features distant guitar riffs, banging synths, an angelic melody and vocals that are sweet as honey. 

6. “Greyhound” by Swedish House Mafia – The longest song on our playlist, “Greyhound” clocks in at just under seven minutes. Once the minute mark is reached, this massive club banger drops into pulsating beats that will have the effect of getting your whole body to move to the rhythm.  Marsh speaks highly of this song and this group, and he was lucky enough to see them one last time at Ultra this year before the trio of DJs broke off to pursue different projects.

http://open.spotify.com/user/12562159/playlist/4m5PG6csIn1dJCwBP1p2xh