Netflix’s streaming-only ‘House of Cards’ a success, what’s next for cable?

The way we consume media is constantly changing and evolving. From the radio to movies, and from movies to television and the Internet, the way we are exposed to entertainment is ever-evolving to fit into our lives. With the success of the Netflix original series, House of Cards, it seems the way we get media is about to change again.

As cable networks are starting to move online through sites like Hulu and HBOgo, they have become less willing to license their content to Netflix and other online distributors. To keep their subscribers Netflix, as well as Amazon have started to produce their own shows such as “House of Cards.”

“House of Cards,” which stars Kevin Spacey as a bloodthirsty politician, premiered on Netflix  Feb. 1. Instead of only releasing a single episode at a time like a traditional television series, Netflix chose to release all thirteen episodes of the first season at the same time. The choice to release the season all at once was based on information gathered by Netflix on the viewing behavior of its customers.

Netflix tracks all manner information about customers, ranging from what shows are popular to when costumers pause or watch several episodes of a show in a row. The company has used this information to try and improve their service for customers by implementing features such as auto play, a feature that automatically starts the next episode of a show. Netflix created “House of Cards” largely based off of the data they had collected, in particular these three points: people like David Fincher, people like Kevin Spacey, and people liked the British version of “House of Cards.”

Netflix’s approach to creating original content is uniquely formed to fit their business as a subscription service. Since they make their money by attracting and retaining subscribers, not advertising, Netflix is interested in a different set of numbers then regular television. The success of “House of Cards” for Netflix will be marked on how many people watch the show on a timeline of a fiscal quarter or perhaps years rather than how many people tune in each week.

Moving forward from the success of the first season of “House of Cards,” Netflix is bringing back “Arrested Development” for a fourth season. Originally aired on Fox but canceled after three seasons, “Arrested Development” has retained a strong cult following on Netflix which streams all the original seasons. Netflix plans on releasing the whole forth season of the show at the same time later this year.

In addition to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon have also started making original content. Amazon has turned to its customers in helping create content for Amazon Studios, their production company. Amazon users can submit show ideas to Amazon studios if selected can receive $10,000 to develop the show, and another $50,000 if Amazon puts the show into production Amazon studios is currently looking for comedy series and original children’s programming.