Minus The Bear to play Metro March 3

Seattle-based band Minus The Bear released their fifth full-length album in August 2012, titled “Infinity Overhead.” Considering the popularity of past albums like “Highly Refined Pirates” and “Planet of Ice,” many fans had high hopes for the band’s most recent release, and MTB delivers.

According to the Alternative Press website, the newest album’s “smorgasbord of sounds should please every level of Minus The Bear fan.” After a not-so-favorable reception from fans of the band’s fourth album “Omni,” MTB dug deep and chose to include more drum loops, vocal harmonies and distorted guitar sounds in their fifth album.

“Infinity Overhead” is the crowd-pleasing medium between the radio-ready sounds of “Omni” and the edginess of earlier albums “Menos El Oso” and “Highly Refined Pirates.” Lead singer Jake Snider’s hypnotizing voice guides you through “Infinity Overhead,” with Dave Knudson’s heavy guitar rifts, Cory Murchy’s groovy basslines and Erin Tate’s toe-tapping percussion not far behind.

The latest full-length still delivers sound cohesive with Minus The Bear’s previous releases, but also showcases the growth and the maturity of the band. And from past experience, Minus The Bear’s shows are always a good time, no matter which album is your favorite.

You can catch Minus The Bear with openers Rah Rah and Eighteen Individual Eyes in Chicago Sunday, March 3 at The Metro. Tickets are $23 in advance and $26 the day of the show, and doors open at 8 p.m. The Metro is located in Wrigleyville on Clark Street, off the Addison red line stop.