Dunlay’s on the Square – the hangover cure

As the sun creeps through my blinds, I hide my face under the covers. My head is pounding, mouth is dry and there is a mysterious bruise on my left shin. I finally find the strength to scuffle out of my room for a glass of water, only to find my house guests are facing a similar situation – tossing around on couches and the floor as piercing sunlight fills the living room.

“Unnnhhh… Dunlay’s?” I groan.

Suddenly, heads pop up in excitement, eager smiles filling each face as hunger decides to rear its ugly head. No matter how late you partied Friday night, and how many hours of sleep you didn’t get, Dunlay’s on the Square is sure to set you straight the next morning.

A family-style bar and grill in the heart of Logan Square, Dunlay’s has gained notoriety among local young adults as the “hangover cure.” Even more than that, it’s where families, sports fans and general city dwellers alike gather for delicious comfort eats, more than often in a rejuvenating brunch (served until 3:00 p.m. on weekends).

Dunlay’s is frequently crowded with guests filling all the diner-style booths, high-top tables and bar stools along the classic wooden bar (with mounted flat screen TVs for game day).  Surprisingly, even with a large group, I’ve never waited more than 15 minutes for a table.

In the summer time, guests can dine on the sidewalk patio and witness the busy Square lifestyle. A weekly farmer’s market (Sundays) is hosted right across the street from Dunlay’s and sometimes the restaurant turns to the market to supply fresh ingredients.

The buzz of happy diners filling their tummies, coupled with the strong aroma of coffee and bacon brings life to anyone who enters Dunlay’s. But in my opinion, to be a top-tier brunch place, you need to have a killer Bloody Mary – and Dunlay’s surely delivers.

Their Bloody recipe centers around the intense flavor of Smoke Daddy BBQ sauce. This is a key ingredient. The rest of the magic comes from straight tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, lemon and lime juice, black and red pepper, celery salt, Spike seasoning and a healthy dose of horseradish. The drink is topped with a skewer of pepperoni or salami, mozzarella cheese, an olive, a pickled red pepper and a dill pickle. A 7oz. High Life sidecar seals the deal. A $3 mimosa (Saturdays only) is the Bloody’s only rivaling beverage.

While Dunlay’s menu is well-rounded for every meal, it’s all about the greasy, hearty brunch. Among our weekly crew, the Dunz omelette pleases many – mozzarella and provolone cheeses, Italian sausage, bacon and caramelized onion. The French toast also wins big, featuring a baguette (instead of regular Texas toast) and orange liquor.

While I’ve tried many Dunlay’s delicacies, I often fall victim to ordering the same thing every time: Big Mike’s Breakfast – two fried eggs, two strips of bacon, two links of maple-sage sausage, a mound of creamy hash browns, a broiled tomato and a pint of Guinness (all for $12). I’m a sucker for this meal.

With summer slowly approaching, the Chicago cold can be depressing (to say the least), but Dunlay’s is not only the cure to a rough morning, but also to a case of the common winter blues.