Course Cart must-haves

The new course catalogues for spring and summer quarters, released Jan. 28, reveal countless class options that are anything but boring. Whether you have major requirements to fulfill or are looking for fun electives to give yourself a breather, virtually every department offers unexpected classes that go beyond the traditional lecture.

After taking a look at the new course catalogue, your choices have been narrowed down to five courses that you might want to check out:

1. DC 125 Digital Still Photography for Non-majors: Offered by the Digital Cinema department, this course gives you the perfect opportunity to finally learn how to take those artsy city shots. Not only will you learn about the history, aesthetics and interpretation strategies of still photography, but you will also get hands-on experience shooting, editing and printing your own photos. (Note: You must provide your own digital camera and pay an additional course fee).

2. WGS 255 Deconstructing the Diva: Now if this title isn’t attention-grabbing enough, maybe a brief description will help. This course, part of the Women’s and Gender Studies program, explores “what it means to be…a woman” by looking at historical contexts through everything from film to art. And men, don’t think that this class is just for the ladies. It may be the key to unlocking the mystery of women!

3. SNC 185 The Beatles and the Creative Process: You may be able to hum their most popular tunes, but do you really know the Beatles? The School for New Learning offers a course which will help to broaden your understanding of the Beatles’ influence on culture, society and politics by examining their work from a musical and historical perspective. Besides, you can never go wrong rocking out to “Penny Lane.”

4. SW 275 Body, Mind, and Spirit: Yoga and Meditation: When you think of a science class, “yoga” isn’t usually the first thing to come to mind, right? Wrong! Classified as a “Scientific World” course, this class explores the scientific and philosophical benefits of yoga through reading various related materials and learning the poses. Here’s an actual excuse to wear yoga pants to class.

5. HSP 333 International Wine Education and Management: This class, part of the “Hospitality Leadership” category, gives you a taste (literally!) of the “world of wine” by studying the export and production process of wine across the world and testing different varieties yourself. It’s time to become a wine connoisseur! And not to be the bearer of bad news, but students must be 21 or older to enroll. Sorry, underclassmen.

Registration for Spring and Summer quarter classes begins Feb. 11.