Famed athlete falls from grace with doping scandal

“This story was so perfect for so long. The disease, winning the Tour de France seven times, my marriage, my children … it was a mythic story that wasn’t true on a lot of levels,” said Lance Armstrong.

Over the last couple of weeks we have watched this God-like figure disintegrate into a mere mortal. And Jan. 14, Oprah Winfrey dug into the pieces as 28 million people worldwide watched in awe.

In a 2.5-hour interview with Winfrey, Armstrong admitted to blood doping and transfusions (used to increase red blood cell count), to using erythropoietin or EPO’s (hormone for red cell production) and to using other performance-enhancing drugs, such as human growth hormones, cortisone and testosterone, to consecutively win seven Tour de France competitions in his career as a world renown cyclist.

“I made my decisions, I made my mistakes, and I am sitting here to acknowledge that and say I’m sorry for that,” said Armstrong.

Armstrong described his apology as “late,” but the mounting pressure of lawsuits, evidence and public opinion no doubt contributed to his willingness to comply with a worldwide confessional at the House of Oprah.

He has been stripped of his medals, abandoned by $75 million in sponsorship deals, banned for life from elite competitions and has stepped down from his “sixth child,” the Livestrong Foundation. He is also currently being sued by two California men for writing a “fraudulent memoir.” A British newspaper is suing for a lost libel suit for $1.5 million. And Floyd Landis, former cyclist and disgraced Tour de France winner, is aiding in a federal whistleblower case over Armstrong’s alleged defrauding of the government for accepting funds while representing the U.S. Postal Service in the 2000-2004 Tour de France victories.

“I got the death penalty,” said Armstrong.

Armstrong is familiar with that feeling, having faced testicular cancer in October of 1996 that later spread to his lungs and brain.

“I had a ruthless desire to win, win at all costs,” he said. “It served me well on the bike, served me well against the disease, but not now. I wanted to control everything … I was a bully.”

Armstrong became infamous for his tyrannical efforts to demolish anyone who challenged him. He enacted powerful lawsuits, and even made adamant testimonials against Betsy Andreu, the wife of former Armstrong teammate Frankie Andreu; Emma O’Reilly, the former masseuse of the racing team; Floyd Landis and postal rider Jonathan Vaughters; and Armstrong’s own childhood hero Greg LeMond.

So how do we reconcile the philanthropist with the doper, the adamant liar with the passionate advocate for individuals with cancer, the bully with the generous man with indisputable care for people around the world?

DePaul student Brittany Jones, 21, challenges us to take a look at a broader narrative that we, too, might be lying to ourselves about.

“Professional sports has gotten to this place where everyone feels the need to enhance themselves chemically, and I think really we need to look at why that is, why athletes in all disciplines are doping,” said Jones.

In 2012, Johan Bruyneel, Dr. Luis del Moral, Pedro Celaya, trainer Jose Pepe Marti and Michele Ferrari, were all charged with anti-doping violations by USADA (U.S. Anti Doping Agency). Not only that, but what about the cyclists riding behind Armstrong? Stephen Colbert said it best.

“Oh, I’m sure they weren’t doping,” said Colbert. “They finished seconds behind a guy who rocketed up a mountainside with powdered monkey nut injected into his heart.”

Although we have all taken turns at deflating what was once “The Great Lance Armstrong,” we must acknowledge that his fall has an even greater impact on athletes and individuals that found hope and inspiration in what is now a fallen dynasty.

“Training takes commitment, perseverance and heart,” said Christina Waters, 22, a competitive triathlete. “It’s discouraging because it looks like we need something to enhance our ability because it’s becoming common, but nevertheless I know right from wrong. I still believe in the right way to win, and I don’t think he deserves pity because there is no excuse. Bottom line: it was wrong.”

Armstrong finished his interview with the words, “You believed, and I lied to you, and I’m sorry.”

Individuals who believed in a man disguised as a legend must choose to either forgive or forget.