Alicia Keys brings on the “Fire”

Alicia Keys is an artist known to vocally impress; yet in the music industry today success does not solely depend on singing ability, even for established artists. Success is also about presentation of music and lyrics, creativity, and innovation. In her fifth studio album, “Girl on Fire,” Alicia Keys manages to update her signature sound while proudly sharing a new perspective on life with her fans.

For “Girl on Fire,” Keys experimented with new beats and rhythms. In the first few tracks of the album the music is mid-tempo. About half of the songs on the album are set at this pace with far less piano, which is a change from the slow ballads Keys is known for. “Brand New Me” and “Girl on Fire” display the power behind Keys’ voice; she seems to belt out notes often and for longer periods in these songs. The tracks with mid-tempo beats added playfulness to the album as a whole. In the song “New Day,” Keys can be heard singing with reggae tones and inflections, another change for her. Keys has gained the confidence to venture into new territory.

It would not be a true Alicia Keys album without a sufficient amount of soulful ballads. They were sung effortlessly  – the listener can feel the emotion behind every lyric she sings. Tracks such as “Fire We Make,” “Not Even the King,” and “That’s When I Knew” are among the best on the album. Keys utilizes the vibrato in her voice more in these songs and does many ofruns, she singing many notes in a single word or phrase. Her range is fully demonstrated – showcasing her sultry low notes with angelic soprano. The final and longest track on the album “101” is the best example of Keys’ melodic whispering. At times her singing is so quiet that it is hard to understand her – as if she is forcing you to listen. Yet, for the last minute of the song, an abrupt transition is made from hushed to boisterous. The album ends with Keys triumphantly singing “Hallelujah!” She showed that she can both roar like a lion and purr like a kitten.

Notable guests on the album include Nicki Minaj and Maxwell. Minaj on the album’s title track rapped with conviction and intensity, bringing a certain attitude to the record. Keys used Minaj as a way to solidify the assertiveness she wanted to convey. R&B singer Maxwell is featured on one of the most romantic songs on the album, “Fire We Make.” Maxwell is a great compliment to Keys, and the two create a passionate duet.

“Girl on Fire” by Alicia Keys is truly a representation of the stability the singer feels in her personal life. She sings of love and the feeling of successfully finding it, expressing satisfaction in her marriage to record producer Swizz Beatz. Keys even lets her young son, Egypt, say a few words on one of her songs. She wishes to share the happiness she has found and give hope to her fans that tomorrow will be a brighter day. “Girl on Fire” is an uplifting album that is sure to please fans of Alicia Keys and R&B lovers alike. Be sure to give this album a listen!