An interview with RZA about his work on the film “Man with the Iron Fists”

Legendary Wu-Tang rapper and producer RZA is trying his hand in film in the highly anticipated action film “Man with the Iron Fists” hitting theaters early November. Jam-packed with stars like Russell Crowe, Cung Le and Lucy Liu and produced by Quentin Tarantino and Eli Roth. The intense action is set in 19th century China. The main character is the Blacksmith, played by RZA, who comes to the defense of his fellow villagers by uniting warriors and assassins. The DePaulia caught up with the artist before the movie release.

The DePaulia: What was it like working with producers Quentin Tarantino and Eli Roth?

RZA: This film is my vision. The story has been in my head for a while. Eli and Quentin trusted me with my vision. They understand that I had a passion for this.

DP: Your passion is apparent with how involved you are in the film. What was it like being a main character and also a director?

RZA: Directing and acting at the same time was the most difficult part. I like method acting, to become anyone but myself. Before lunch I am directing, but after I would be acting. In makeup is where I would make the switch: I would become that guy.

DP: As a member of the Wu-Tang Clan we know music is important to you. How did music influence this film in particular?

RZA: I wrote this screenplay and every scene has specific music. On the set I play music all the time, and there are scenes where there is music playing that won’t be in the final film. If there’s a battle- I turn on fight music, a sex scene- Stevie Wonder.

DP: Speaking of musicians, how did you choose the artists that were working with you on this soundtrack such as the Black Keys and Talib Kweli?

RZA: I had a few artists in my mind. Before I went to film in China I did some music with the Black Keys and I kept playing that during my time there. I came to Kanye West — I wanted him to be a part of this movie, you know? Wiz Kalifa, we invited him in to see some footage too. Method Man helped but his songs didn’t make it into the movie. I’m really happy how the soundtrack turned out. We reached out to Talib because we didn’t think that we had enough female energy in the music; it was a very testosterone ridden album. He brings that feeling to his art. He came with a great song; I love the song he came with.

DP: There is incredible fighting in this film. How much of this was stunt work? How did you and the other actors train?

RZA: Well we had some real fighters. Cung Le is kicking ass in this film — he probably has the most kills. I don’t want to ruin the movie or anything. Lucy, for instance, didn’t get a chance to train. But she had been in “Kill Bill” and “Charlie’s Angels” so she knew how. But she was so tenacious. I give her a lot of credit. It was to the point to where I felt kind of bad because she would always want to shoot the scene again. She would turn a switch and be Madam Blossom ready to kill another guy. I was like Lucy is NOT playin’.

DP: You are an author, a musician, a director, and more. What is next for you to conquer?

RZA: I like to be called an artist. I heard people calling me a Renaissance man; I don’t know about all that. You can activate your artistic wavelength in any medium if you train in that medium. Whether it’s music, film, whatever. You wouldn’t believe that I have a dozen or so songs written out on the guitar right now, but that’s because I have time to do art. But what I really want is to make more films. This is the ultimate medium for a guy like me. This medium holds every talent for me and I hope I get to keep doing it for y’all.