Elephant in the neighborhood: The New Elephant Resale Shop

The New Elephant Resale Shop of Chicago

This past summer, a local DePaul favorite closed its doors for good. The Children’s Memorial Hospital resale shop The White Elephant, on the corner of Fullerton, Lincoln and Halsted Avenue, moved along with the hospital. Luckily, there is a new resale shop in town for DePaul students to discover.

The New Elephant Resale Shop of Chicago is located at 1145 W. Webster Ave., just across the street from Oscar Mayer Elementary School. The store had its grand opening on Sept. 22 and is ready to take on the needs of DePaul students.

“We’d love to see more students come in since it is just across the way and I’m sure they could find something they’d like,” said Heidi Olson, the director of social media and marketing at The New Elephant.

The resale shop may not be as large as its predecessor, but the store is more organized; students and community members alike are able to find things ranging from furniture to clothing.

Besides the obvious financial perks of buying resale, the store also benefits the community because it is organized for charitable purposes. The Illinois non-profit corporation benefits the community by donating to local charities such as the Jessie White Tumbling Team and The Kids Equipment Network.

Donations are also being accepted during the store’s business hours so keep them in mind at the end of the year when you are moving or decide to do some cleaning. The store asks that donated items are clean and not torn or stained. For every item you donate, you will receive a tax deductible receipt.

Since DePaul students typically do not have a vehicle to transport any furniture, the store offers a reasonably priced delivery service and also picks up furniture donations for free. The store also offers a 10 percent discount for students and teachers in the Chicago area with a valid ID.

So if you still need that lamp for your dorm or just some sweaters for the fall, stop by The New Elephant to get some major savings and benefit your local community.