“Saturday Night Live” returns for 38th season

NBC’s widely known variety comedy show, “Saturday Night Live,” hits its 38th season. Heading into the new season, SNL also heads into a new generation with a new episode introduction and much more. Three former beloved cast members, including Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg, have left the show after the past season. Abby Elliott will also be absent this season.

As three memorable comedians leave, three new comedians emerge this season. Chicago-based Second City performers Aid Bryant, Tim Robinson and Cecily Strong join the cast this season as strong contenders in the premiere with Seth MacFarlane and Frank Ocean. Each new, featured cast member made appearances in the season premiere.

Cecily Strong, however, had her own sketch on Weekend Update as a 17-year-old Latina named Mimi Morales who volunteers in the political Hispanic community in getting everyone to vote. Some believe that Strong’s character played into several stereotypes; nonetheless, her comedic timing was spot on and stood on point with her character. Bryant and Robinson have yet to debut with their own sketch.

Elections are coming this November, and it has long been a tradition on SNL to mock the people in political office. This season, definitely expect someone to portray Barack Obama and Mitt Romney again. Obama was impersonated by Fred Armisen in the previous election season, but for this season, repertory player Jay Pharoah takes over the role. His opposition, Mitt Romney, has been played by Jason Sudeikis, and Sudeikis will still claim this role. Even though Sudeikis intended to leave the show before the season began, he remains a part of the cast, but there is a possibility that he may leave mid-season, once the elections are over, there nothing is official yet.

As the political season progresses, NBC brings a third season of “Saturday Night Live Weekend Update Thursday” to its lineup. Weekend Update Thrusday is a 30 minute episode of SNL consisting of a 5-10 minute political opening and a 15-20 minute version of Weekend Update, where viewers can expect a ton of political guests being impersonated and possible guest starts, including Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg. There will be two episodes of Weekend Update Thursday Sept. 20 and the 27 at 9 p.m.

SNL will also add Seth MacFarlane, creator of “Family Guy,” to its roster. Already familiar with voice acting from his other shows, he will become the man of a million voices throughout the upcoming SNL season, impersonating stars like Olympic athlete Ryan Lochte and a puppeteer of many voices.

To fill the spot left by Wiig and Samberg, the other cast members have risen to the challenge and began to shine. Eighth year player Bill Hader played various roles in the premiere, from a low-voiced army puppeteer student, to his hilarious impression of Clint Eastwood, to many more personas. Daniel Craig will host the new episode of SNL starring the band Muse Oct. 6. An episode of Weekend Update Thursday will premiere before that Sept. 27.