Riot in Chicago: Riot Fest returns for 8th year

Riot Fest, the annual punk and alternative rock music festival, returns to Chicago for its eighth year Sept. 14-16, featuring a multi-generational lineup including legends like Iggy and the Stooges and Elvis Costello and the Imposters to newer artists like The Gaslight Anthem, Gogol Bordello and Minus the Bear. With such a wide array of artists represented over these three days, here are some sets worth checking out.

Iggy and the Stooges: The undisputed Godfather of Punk will headline Sunday’s set along with Elvis Costello and the Imposters. Next year will mark the 40th anniversary of the Stooges classic album Raw Power, which is already a concert staple, so expect to hear songs like “Raw Power,” “Search and Destroy” and “Gimme Danger.” Pop is still one of the wildest front men in rock music so be prepared for some crazy stage antics from a 64 year old man… which may or may not include a stage dive.

The Gaslight Anthem: The New Jersey punks just released their bombastic fourth album “Handwritten” in July, and it very well may be the best Gaslight Anthem album to date. New songs like “45,” “Mulholland Drive,” “Handwritten” and “Here Comes My Man” have made it onto the set list but fans can also expect crowd pleasers like “59 Sound” and “Old White Lincoln.” Singer Brian Fallon’s powerful vocals and the aggression and rawness of Gaslight Anthem songs make them one of the best live acts today and a Saturday set that should not be missed.

Gogol Bordello: This band is a live band, pure and simple and their recordings do not do justice to the mayhem and party that is a Gogol Bordello live show. They are a mainstay on the festival circuit and it’s easy to see why. Gogol Bordello’s self-described brand of “Gypsy punk,” which meshes elements of traditional Gypsy music with punk, is high energy party music, and songs like “Start Wearing Purple” and “Wonderlust King” always get the crowd going. It doesn’t hurt also that Eugene Hutz is one of the best front men in rock, and with his crazy energy and that of his band mates, Gogol’s set should be a Sunday highlight.

Jesus and Mary Chain: Mostly known for their 1985 song “Just Like Honey” the Scottish band was one of the front runners of post-punk and alternative rock from 1983-1999. After reuniting in 2007, they are back on the road performing mostly old songs and hits including “Just Like Honey” and a new song “All Things Must Pass,” which was written for the NBC show Heroes. While they have yet to release a substantial amount of new material, they are one of the most original alternative acts and still worth checking out.

Henry Clay People: One of the lesser-known bands in the lineup, the Henry Clay People have cut their teeth on the festival circuit, playing Lollapalooza, Coachella and Austin City Limits and opening for Silversun Pickups and Against Me!. Their stripped down garage rock sounds nostalgic yet fresh, harkening back to the good old days of rock and roll. Definitely put this band on your radar, they still play fairly small clubs yet have the potential and the chops for mainstream popularity.