Must-see concerts for Autumn Quarter

Summer festivals are over, but good music can still be found all over Chicago. This fall quarter, save your money, gather up your friends and check out these upcoming concerts.

If you can’t shake that crush you have for the cute coffee house singer….
Ed Sheeran, September 25 at the Riviera Theater
Ed Sheeran has burst onto the music scene from across the pond as pop’s newest up-and-coming singer-songwriter. You may have seen this artist covering a Pink Floyd song at the Olympic closing ceremonies. Unlike Pink Floyd’s rock, Sheeran blends a variety of music styles like hip hop, electronic and folk, and somehow he makes it sound good. It must be his red-haired British charm.

Kick your “hipsterdom” up a notch by becoming a hipster….
Father John Misty, Oct 30 at Lincoln Hall
If you missed your chance at seeing this band at Pitchfork, now is the time to go. Father John Misty is none other than J. Tillman, former Fleet Foxes member. Under his new band named Father John Misty, his music is loose and psychedelic. Jangling 70’s rock vibes infused with subtle country croons will have you in a jamming daze. Expect spooky vibes to flow since this show is the day before Halloween, but that won’t stop you from having fun with Father John Misty and his crew.

If you just want to feel the love, the Grouplove that is……
Grouplove, November 8 at the Riviera Theater
You’ve heard their song “Tongue Tied” either on the radio or on the commercials for Mindy Kaling’s new show “Project Mindy” on Fox. It’s a simple, good pop song. Their songs are rich in color: Their first major single, “Colours,” is aptly titled. It showcasies their blazing, sunny, California-dipped tunes. Despite their album’s title, Never Trust a Happy Song, it’s hard to resist their uplifting songs. This band met while at a commune and brings a unique community get-together vibe to their shows.

Break out the doc martins and heavy eyeliner, but don’t forget the glow sticks………
Crystal Castles, Nov 2 at the Congress Theater
Lo-fi electronic has never sounded better now that Crystal Castles, a Canadian duo, are on the scene. Although lo-fi sounds minimal, Crystal Castles’s music has a significant amount of depth – their searing white noise is textured, and singer Alice Glass’s voice harpoons melodic lyrics right into your eardrum. The music drives you into a rabbit hole of electronic beats. The band’s biggest hit, “I’m Not in Love,” features none other than the Goth King himself, Robert Smith of The Cure. Crystal Castles are known for their chaotic shows, so expect the unexpected.

If you want to body surf your way through a sweaty crowd…..
Sleigh Bells, September 28 at the Metro
Sleigh Bells are a sweet breath of fresh rock air, infusing synths and pop with heavy guitar to bring a delicious blend for the rock-craving masses. They go heavy with songs like “Infinity Guitars,” sweet with “Rill Rill” and catchy with “Comeback Kid.” Their music is fast, hard and loud. It still manages to be melodic thanks to singer Alexis Krauss’ catchy lyrics, while Derek Miller’s metal and punk guitar riffs pick you up and swoop you into the blissful chaos that is Sleigh Bells.

If you’re looking for a good date night…..
The xx, Oct 20 at the Congress Theater
Ever since being featured in the “Project X” soundtrack, The xx, their brilliant and often moody sit-in-a-dark-room-and-make-out music has been in the spotlight. The follow up to their successful critically acclaimed self-titled album, titled Coexist, will be released Sept. 5. With a whole new album of indie rock music to share and help you seduce your lover with, this concert is sure to have you hand holding and googly-eye making with your significant other all night.