DePaul security on heightened alert after University of Chicago threats

A suspect is now in custody after making an online threat which led to the cancellation of classes today at the University of Chicago.

The suspect was identified as Jabari Dean, 21, a student at the University of Illinois-Chicago. Yesterday, an online threat made by Dean raised the alarm of FBI counterterrorism officials, who informed U of C officials. The decision was then made to cancel class.

According to police, Dean threatened to kill 16 white men on the university’s quad in retaliation for the killing of LaQuan McDonald, who was shot by Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke 16 times.

The university said in an update that it will remain closed for the rest of today and will announce plans for tomorrow at a later time.

While DePaul was open today, the first day of the winter intercession, the university took extra precautions.

“In light of the reported threat at the University of Chicago, Public Safety and others are on heightened alert on all DePaul campuses,” said DePaul spokeswoman Carol Hughes. “Additionally, Chicago Police have increased their presence around campus as well as a precautionary measure.”

Hughes noted that precautions such as this were taken at many different campuses around the city.