You’re here for whom? Bands to check out at Riot Fest

We did the homework so you don’t have to. Check back for the scoop on bands you can’t miss at Riot Fest this year.

Skating Polly:

Many people who attend a Skating Polly show may look at the young band, composed of stepsisters Kelli Mayo and Peyton Bighorse, and think it’s cute that girls that young are performing to large crowds. But the crowds are there for a reason, and the reason is that the band rocks – hard. Mayo and Bighorse take turns with instruments and vocal responsibilities, and are influenced by riot grrrl bands that performed before they were ever born. The result: a beautiful blend of angry riot grrrl anthems and fun indie pop.

Skating Polly has released three albums to critical acclaim. Their most recent, 2014’s “Fuzz Steilacoom,” led them to support Minneapolis-based alternative band Babes in Toyland throughout a United Kingdom tour. 

FIDLAR:

If you’re looking for music that is perfect for jumping around and crowd surfing at Riot Fest, FIDLAR is your band. Despite only having one album released, the band has amassed a fanbase that’s notoriously nuts during their live shows. The band has perfected the art of making heartbreakingly sad songs that sound so fun, such as “No Waves,” off the band’s self-titled album, which frontman Zac Carper wrote about being in rehab.

The Los Angeles skate-punks recently announced their second album, appropriately named “Too,” with their already-released singles, “40 oz. On Repeat” and “West Coast” adding to their unbeatable repertoire of fun music. 

Knuckle Puck:

Knuckle Puck, from the south suburbs of Chicago, has a sound that draws from pop-punk influences, but they find a way to make their sound unique within a genre where it’s very simple to blend in with other bands.

The band will be no stranger to playing festivals when they take the stage at Riot Fest. They just played the entire duration of this summer’s Warped Tour, while supporting their latest release, “Copacetic,” Knuckle Puck’s debut studio album, which was released July 31 and started streaming July 23. Their album is a solid debut release from a promising band, and their early time slot at Riot Fest will allow attendees to be among those who can say “I saw them before they blew up,” because based on how their career is going so far, it won’t be long until they do.