Fall TV filled with some hits, mostly misses

(Photo courtesy of FOX; graphic by KATIE TAMOSIUNAS / The DePaulia)

FOX is taking television by storm with its variety of fall shows and diverse cast members, but is it working in their favor? While they have many successful shows, one being the hip-hop dramatic comedy “Empire” that just aired its second season, others struggle to match the hype.

The film “Minority Report” was released in 2002, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise. The movie focused on police officers who receive information about future crimes from precognitives. These precognitives have no memories of their own, only the visions of the crimes. The police must get there before the crime is committed; and were a part of “Precrime Unit.”

Tom Cruise’s character,  Chief John Anderton, eventually is blamed for the murder of a man he never met and his main focus is to find the real killer to clear his name.

FOX turned the basis of the movie into a television show starring Meagan Good and Stark Sands. However, the show failed to live up to expectations, generating only 3.1 million viewers and decreasing to 2.6 million viewers its second week.

While there is an obvious effort to connect the show with current trends, it was out of place. About 15 minutes in, there is a floating selfie bracelet (meant to be the future selfie stick). “Minority Report” is the lowest rated new series on FOX and there are constant statements saying the show will soon be cancelled. Is FOX wasting their time?

Along with “Minority Report,” FOX has added new series such as “Grandfathered,” “The Grinder” and “Rosewood” to the roster.

“Grandfathered” follows Jimmy, played by John Stamos, a man who has everything he wants: women, money, success — the only thing missing is a family.

That is, until the son he never knew he had shows up and gives Jimmy another gift, a granddaughter. His lifestyle will no longer be the same. The show premiered Sept. 29 and managed to attract 5.24 million viewers, which is still a low number for a debut television show.

“The Grinder” had even lower numbers, with 4.98 million viewers. 

FOX’s “Scream Queens” only had 4 million viewers tune into this two-hour premiere on Sept. 22. For those who haven’t heard about it, the series is about a serial killer on the prowl at a college campus who kills anyone associated with Kappa Kappa Tau.

Keke Palmer and singer Ariana Grande are two familiar faces. People worry it will only attract a young audience since the show is predominately young adults. Some question if the show will survive past season one. It is said that the show will be able to complete the 13 episodes for this season, but after that is unpredictable.

The undeniably likeable triple-threat Keke Palmer is one of the main reasons viewers are watching. Palmer is no stranger to the entertainment industry, and viewers were excited to see her in a different sort of role.

Some say the only new show on FOX networks worth watching is “Rosewood,” while others say the only reason 6.24 million viewers tuned is was due to “Empire” premiering immediately after on Sept. 23.

The “Rosewood” story line is simple: Todd Harthan, played by Morris Chestnut, is a pathology consultant who helps police officers explain what they did not see at the crime scenes.

FOX is not the only network expanding their brand. CBS is also airing new shows, such as “Code Black,” “Limitless” and “Life in Pieces.” With all three new shows doing exceptionally well, CBS is giving FOX a run for their money. “Limitless” the movie was released in 2011 and showcased a struggling writer who begins taking pills that make him smarter than ever and eventually take a toll on his life.

On Sept. 22 9.8 million viewers watched intensely. With director Bradley Cooper (who also played writer Eddie Morra in the movie), we did not know what to expect. The drama and intensity were evident in the first 30 seconds of the episode.

New season. New shows. Get ready.