Review: Reaction NYE rings in 2016 with Skrillex, Chance The Rapper

Reaction was the one of the best ways to celebrate New Year’s Eve in the Chicago area for music lovers. Electronic duo Purity Ring’s rhythmed melodies brought in the groove, Run The Jewels brought a rap powerhouse performance, while indie rock band Joywave’s rock attitude all contributed to making the inaugural Reaction NYE a top New Year’s celebration in for years to come.

The Arcade Stage held free arcade games throughout the two day event. In between some of grove-filled sets like electric pop duo Celine Neon and a jam packed house set from DJ Intel at the Arcade Stage concert goers enjoyed classics arcade games like Ms. Pac Man and Asteroids.

Best known for his off the wall demeanor, Deadmau5 gave Reaction attendees a more reclusive and intimate performance, with a mixture of his original tracks and wisely picked remixes. Before the show, Deadmau5’s good deed of the day was done when he found out the festival security wasn’t allowing fan made signature Deadmau5 helmets. He later tweeted after speaking to festival officials that his fans’ homemade gear will be allowed into the festival.

Chance The Rapper helped close off 2015 in a big way with his unforgettable set, which led into a NYE countdown. His energetic and powerful music persona came in strong with crowd favorites “Juice” and “Sunday Candy.”

The year-end count down featured footage from Skillrex and Chance The Rapper at past NYE celebrations, and a showed a year end recap featuring highlight footage from “Star Trek” actor Leonard Nimoy, Jack U’s acceptance speech at the American Music Awards for the “Collaboration of the Year” award, and more historical and touching footage like the federal gay marriage ruling with footage of people celebrating around the world.

Skrillex had the responsibility to bring the party with the NYE countdown, as the crowd rang in the New Year within his set. Skrillex, a true artist, didn’t disappoint. His set was well put together with electric hits and EDM bangers.

Photos by Jesus Montero / The DePaulia