Chicago State University basketball faces an uncertain future after last home game

Chicago State University head coach Tracy Didly gathers his players before a game against University of Missouri-Kansas Saturday. The game could be the last for the school. (Geoff Stellfox / The DePaulia)
Chicago State University head coach Tracy Dildy gathers his players before a game against University of Missouri-Kansas Saturday. The game could be the last for the school. (Geoff Stellfox / The DePaulia)

The smiles and optimism left the building quickly.

Playing in their possible last basketball game in school history, Chicago State University head coach Tracy Dildy and his players entered senior day Saturday with their heads held high. Despite the state budget crisis that threatens the closing of their school, the Cougars wanted to relish the moment.

But during an 82-53 loss against the University of Missouri-Kansas — one all too common for the program — the uncertainty of Chicago State’s future loomed over what could have been a chance to ease the frustration and disappointment the university has encountered during the last few months.

“I think we played our absolutely worst game of the year and we waited to do it on the last home game on senior day,” Dildy, a former DePaul assistant coach, said. “So I’m really disappointed. What everything going on this has been the worst season I’ve experienced as a coach.”   

Chicago State and other state universities haven’t received any state funding since July 1, 2015 due to Illinois’ budget impasse. CSU is especially suffering because about one-third of its budget comes from the state, according to WGN. To keep the university open, President Thomas Calhoun Jr. has implemented job cuts. Pink slips were issued to more than 800 faculty, staff and administrators, according to ABC.

Saturday’s finale was another instance of his players questioning themselves, Dildy said. Even though basketball is a way to escape reality, Dildy sees his players as being human — no matter how much they try to deny it.

“I wouldn’t use it as an excuse for us. I mean, there is a lot going on, a lot of extra stuff going on, but I wouldn’t use it as an excuse for our loss,” sophomore guard Clemmye Owens said. “That’s all us.”

“It’s a bad game,” forward Trayvon Palmer said. “We can’t blame it on anything else but ourselves. It’s on us.”

chicago-state2
The state’s budget crisis means that Chicago State University has cut more than 800 faculty, staff and administrators. The school is heavily reliant on state funding. (Geoff Stellfox / The DePaulia)

While the players took the blame for the on-court loss, the state budget crisis is on anything but Chicago State.  They face the harsh realities of having to make job cuts and even the possibility of shutting down the school entirely. A historically black school located on the South Side, Chicago State relies on the state for its funding.

Dildy was one of the 800 employees to receive a termination notice.

He also said students don’t deserve this treatment, and that there will be a negative outcome if the budget isn’t passed.

“My knowledge is every employee on this campus got a layoff notice. That’s a fact, that’s not a rumor, that’s a fact. In the middle of a political battle, Chicago State and other schools like Chicago State are caught in the cross fires,” Dildy said. “I think because of egos, which is not fair — it’s outright wrong. But if something doesn’t change, yeah they are going to close the door and close the opportunity for students across the state. We know nothing good will come out of that.”

Dildy grew up a mile away from this South Side university and he knows its importance to the community. He said CSU gets the students other colleges didn’t recruit — didn’t think were good enough or didn’t think were smart enough. Overall, “we’re their last chance and their last hope,” he said.

“Right now what we are experiencing … with the politicians, basically (they’re) trying to take away opportunities for students to change their lives,” Dildy said. “We know that education is the true equalizer and when you’re threatening to close down a university, the only predominantly  black institution in the whole state of Illinois, I think that’s crazy. I think that’s unfair. I think it’s just down right wrong.”

Despite the controversy, Dildy said he relies on his faith to get him through tough times.

To provide some encouragement and sharpen the team’s basketball skills, Dildy invited his mentor and personal consultant, legendary DePaul Blue Demon Mark Aguirre to practice last week and he also attended Saturday’s game. Aguirre has been helping Chicago high schools programs with the goal of instilling dedication and honesty toward the game in the athletes. When you’re in basketball and you’re part of Chicago — you’re intermingled in a net that knows each other. It’s a fellowship that just exist, he said. His message to the Cougars in midst of the budget crisis was one of focus.

“Well like anything in life, you can only handle what you can control,” Aguirre said. “And that’s something that’s not in your control. You focus on the thing you can control — things you can make a difference in.”