What’s Fresh: “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2,” Frankie Cosmos

What’s Fresh is The DePaulia’s weekly rundown of the latest in arts and entertainment. This week: the goofy “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2” and the latest album from bedroom pop artist Frankie Cosmos.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2

Universal Pictures

March 25

“My Big Fat Greek Wedding” captured our hearts back in 2002 with the film’s relatable characters, unique comedic writing and honest commentary about what it means to be part of a family. The news that a sequel would be created 14 years later was completely unexpected and well received. “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2” captures the humor and spirit of the original film while presenting new family struggles that anyone can relate to and enjoy.

The movie stars the original cast from the first film. Seeing these actors on the big screen once again honestly felt like being part of a family reunion. Beyond the perfect chemistry of the Portokalos family, eternally sexy John Stamos graces viewers with his presence. There doesn’t seem to be much of a purpose for his inclusion other than to make audiences swoon, which is a goal that more movies should aim to achieve. — Carolyn Duff

Frankie Cosmos

“Next Thing”

April 1

Frankie Cosmos returns on her second full-length album with a brief but polished project that is enough to delight old fans while appealing to a larger group of listeners. Frontwoman Greta Kline continues to masterfully transform moments of the ordinary into whimsical songs that each average around two minutes in length. In “Next Thing,” airy guitar tones take the center stage while David Maine’s bass lines back innovative melodies and glossy synths maintain the carefully-crafted balance of each song. Frankie Cosmos’ “Next Thing” is a must-listen that successfully repackages indie-pop into poetry. — Andrew Busch