Filed under Arts/Life, Music

St.Vincent’s DeJamz

Valentine’s Day is hard for singles. Couples everywhere you look, holding hands, exchanging glances of love – it seems like they’re mocking your empty heart. For those going through a breakup, it’s even more difficult. Reminders of your lost love occur every which way you look. Here’s a playlist of songs you may have listened to in the grieving process to get you through this Valentine’s Day the right way.

1. “Linger” – The Cranberries

Originally written about the writer’s first kiss, it details the confusion that accompanies falling for someone who has power over you, ending with their ultimate departure from the relationship. The song captures a feeling of constantly wondering if the partner you adore is being faithful. This song will resonate with anyone who feels their love is trying to push them away, and yet is left feeling hopelessly in love with their biggest saboteur.

2. “When Someone Wants to Leave” – Dolly Parton

A tale of love worn too thin is the premise of this song. She slowly begins to accept that her lover wants to leave her, but watching them slowly pull further away is hard to get over. She sings that the lover desires to leave her just as much as she wishes they would stay, leaving the listener feeling just as empty and emotional as Parton. Anyone who has experienced this “one-sided love,” good luck getting through this tune.

3. “You’re So Vain” – Carly Simon

More resilient than the rest on this list, Carly Simon rips apart her self-obsessed ex in this song. “You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself go by,” is something that causes the listener to reflect on their ex; did they care about what you were wearing that night to make sure you felt good, or was it more subjective than that? Even the least vain will find themselves thinking twice before checking themselves out in a mirror after listening to this forceful tune.

4. “Nothing Compares 2 U” – Sinead O’Connor

The lyrics tell of post-break up experience, when you’re attempting to cloud your mind by keeping busy. Examples include “eating dinner in a fancy restaurant” and “putting your arms around any boy you want.” Even with these distractions, it’s an arduous task to forget someone. Counting down the days and hours seems like the only thing holding yourself onto the love who has left. Love lost hardly seemed more bleak … Happy Valentine’s Day!