Filed under News, Showcase

Family of student who died after being struck by CTA still looking for answers

Ricardo Quiroz studied finance at DePaul and was set to graduate in June. Quiroz had high hopes of helping his family become financially stable. (Photo courtesy of Alex Quiroz)

He was born laughing.

Maria Quiroz, mother of DePaul student Ricardo Quiroz, said that her son will be remembered as someone who was always very happy.

Quiroz, 24, was struck by a CTA Red Line train on Sunday, April 15 at 8:01 a.m. on the Near North Side. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in critical condition where he died at 1:25 a.m. the following Tuesday.

The train’s conductor was also taken to Northwestern for a psychological evaluation, according to Chicago Fire Media Affairs.

Set to graduate in June, Ricardo got his associate’s from Truman College before transferring to DePaul about two years ago.

“He was excited to be at DePaul,” said Kenton Klaus, a professor in the Driehaus College of Business.

Klaus had Ricardo in class last spring quarter for a career management course. He said he remembers Quiroz as a student who was “very sincere” and “very enthusiastic about life after college.”

“The students I remember make an extra point to see me (…) to be successful in their career search,” Klaus said.

Now, over two weeks later, the Quiroz family is still waiting to hear from the Chicago Police Department (CPD) or the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) about the cause of their son’s death. If Ricardo was pushed, if he fell, or if something more malicious occurred is still unclear.

“The police haven’t told us anything,” Maria said. “The only thing that my husband retrieved in the hospital was his bag. The police told us that they couldn’t contact us because they did not have our information.”

But Ricardo had his license, his Social Security card, his student ID and his credit cards on him.

“We are very suspicious of what happened,” Maria said. “(The police) haven’t bothered to call us.”

Maria said that Univision Chicago called her family on Thursday to ask if they’d like to pursue an investigation to find out what really happened.

Not even the CTA has reached out to the Quiroz family.

“The least they could do is show us the video footage of what happened, how (Ricardo) ended up on the tracks, how much time he spent there,” she said. “There’s much here that doesn’t make sense.”

Maria said that even Ricardo’s hospital records are faulty; two different times of death are listed.

“We’re okay now because there is nothing more that we can do,” Maria said. “He is already gone. We only want to know what happened in his last moments.”

Eloy Quiroz, Ricardo’s father, said that his family is going to be seeking out a lawyer to find answers. Eloy said that he wants communication between his family and the authorities to be made more clear.

“I’m certain that this was an accident because he didn’t have a single enemy,” he said. “That’s what we know and believe.”

An alum of Kelly High School, Ricardo grew up in Chicago in the South Side neighborhood of West Lawn. Ricardo was a member of Midwest Association of Hispanic Accountants (MAHA). In his free time, Ricardo would skateboard with his younger brother, Alex, and their friends.

“He wanted to create financial stability for our parents not only in terms of providing for them but assisting them with their finances,” Alex said. “My parents are immigrants (…) we’re first-born U.S. citizens, so he cared a lot about the stability of our family.”

While Ricardo was attending Truman, he worked part-time with his father, who works about 60 hours a week at a nearby bread factory.

Eloy moved to Chicago from his home state of Puebla, Mexico in 1988. Several years later in 1993, Maria joined him and the couple had their first son, Ricardo.

Maria, who is from the state of Mexico, got her degree in business administration. Today, she works as an aide for special needs students in Chicago Public Schools (CPS).

Maria said that Ricardo would always make it a point to ask his mother about her day, since her job can be very emotionally taxing.

“He always hugged me when he got home and he said, ‘Mom, you don’t know how much I love you,’” Maria said.

The two would go back and forth, arguing over who loved the other more.

“That’s why I don’t understand why he left us so soon,” Maria said. “He had a very forward-moving life. He wanted to travel and he had plans to go to Australia. He was a very loving kid and very responsible.”

“I would say he was the glue (of our family),” Alex said. “He’s just a compassionate and empathetic person.”

Maria said that her children were a trio — they did everything together. Alex, in particular, always followed Ricardo’s lead. She said that Nancy, the youngest of the family, always had lots of dolls of her own, but she rarely played with them because she was always playing with Ricardo and Alex.

“Me and my brother identify as skateboarders. We love skateboarding,” Alex said. “That’s what we spent the last ten years of our life doing and working towards, is just more time skateboarding together. I’d like for him to be remembered as a kind-hearted, funny dude.”

Ricardo always had an adventurous and carefree spirit. He had plans to visit Australia and get to know Europe.

“It’s very hard to live with this,” Eloy said. “He had a lot of goals, he was very responsible. He had a bright future.”

In January, his father said, he had two jobs where he was working full-time and went to school full-time. Sometimes, he would work weekends doing valet parking.

Eloy said his family will feel more at peace once they have more answers. He said that he is seeking justice because he does not want something like this to happen in the future and for it to go without being investigated.

“He didn’t deserve this,” Eloy said.

3 Responses to “Family of student who died after being struck by CTA still looking for answers”

1. Dan Fryar on April 30th, 2018 3:22 pm

I just read this story. Please,ask the family of this young man to stay on CTA. One thing nobody is aware of is that,we as operators DO NOT GET TO SEE VIDEOS of any incident we are accused of either. The people at headquarters were appointed by the mayor,through Forest Claypook. I do not want to see what happened with videos being covered up,happen here. There is a lot going on here. More than likely,the reason video has not come out yet is because the company may be at fault. Videos from the CTA normally come out the same day,from my 20+ years experience. Try askibg to see the video. Even police videos come out faster than that. Feel free to communicate with me. I can help.

2. Alexa A. Quiroz on May 4th, 2018 11:41 am

This was my cousin and the Quiroz family is looking for answers to his death.if you know anithing or if you saw him walking to the train station please do not keep quiet.Please call the number to the family and say what you saw.

3. Caden Sage on June 5th, 2018 3:42 am

This is my story, a true life story on how I survived an abusive husband(s). Please read and share.

Leaving an abusive marriage was life threatening, I was scared of the post-divorce lifestyle. I felt starting afresh with another man seems impossible at my age because my husband(s) always downplays my emotions making me feel like a worthless woman. Yes, I was married thrice.

I was betrayed by a friend, cheated upon by husband(s), beaten, jailed but I never gave up, I chose to ride or die with my current 5-year-old marriage because of love, our children and our shared finance. Though I love my husband to a fault and believed I can change his mindset through spiritual means before we go our separate ways.

After domestic abuse and emotional conflicts comes spiritual father, Dr. Wakina with redemption and restoration via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com with the spell that ended my abusive circle. I also escaped social pressure.

I wasn’t wrong afterall sticking to my husband and changing our lifestyle through spiritual doctors. Believe me, we’re living our dream lifestyle for over 5-months with much love and respect for each other.

• News

School of Music building opens up for Autumn Quarter

• Family of student who died after being struck by CTA still looking for answers

SGA and Chartwells team up on new sustainability efforts

DePaul students create crowdfunding portal for investors

Hanging in the balance

Tenured profs. to be offered buyouts ahead of SNL restructuring

Chicago startup aims to pay apartment seekers, build community

DePaul’s School of Music to host classical and jazz festival this fall

• News

Mayoral race heats up after Emanuel’s decision not to run

Fraternity offers haircuts to empower black men on campus

Fundraising staff lodges complaints with HR