Filed under Nation & World

Australia cyber hack raises privacy concerns

Australian Broadcasting Corporation Via AP

Australia’s Parliament House computer network suffered a “malicious intrusion” on Feb. 8, according to Prime Minister Scott Morrison; on Feb. 18, he revealed before the House of Representatives that a number of specific political parties were hacked as part of that intrusion, among them his own Liberal party, the opposition Labor party and the National party. The attack, he said, was perpetrated by a “sophisticated state actor,” though he added that there was no electoral interference.

He did not provide details on what information was stolen in the breach.

Speculation began almost immediately that China may have been responsible, with senior intelligence sources telling the Sydney Morning Herald that the malware used in the attack suggests the work of China or Russia. China is believed to be responsible for previous hacks against Australia’s government networks in 2011 and 2015.

At a Feb. 18 media briefing, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang warned that, “Irresponsible reporting, accusation, pressure and sanctions will only aggravate the tension and confrontation in cyberspace and poison the environment of cooperation.” He made similar comments later in the week, stressing that “a sound and stable China-Australia relationship serves the common interests of both countries and peoples.”

That relationship was strained last week when China abruptly stopped accepting coal imports at a key port in Dalian, in northern China. Reports noted that other countries’ coal exports to China were not affected.

The hack raises a number of privacy concerns, ranging from Australian citizens’ personal information and voting records being hacked to the possibility of private emails being leaked. “Political parties are small organizations with only a few full-time staff, yet they collect, store and use large amounts of information about voters and communities,” said opposition leader Bill Shorten. “These institutions can be a soft target, and our national approach to cybersecurity needs to pay more attention to non-government organizations.”

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

When asked about some of these concerns, a spokesman for the Australian Cyber Security Center, the government agency in charge of investigating the breach, said the ACSC “is not in a position to provide further information at this time” and “does not comment on ongoing investigations or operations.” The spokesman did link to a Sky News interview with ACSC chief Alastair MacGibbon, in which MacGibbon stresses the preliminary nature of the investigation and notes, “I don’t even know the extent of their activity in those last three [Liberal, Labor and National] networks.”

So what can ordinary Australians do to protect themselves from state actors stealing their data as part of a global game of cyber spycraft?

“In practice, very little,” said Dr. Bruce Baer Arnold, the Juris Doctor program director at the University of Canberra’s School of Law and Justice, as well as vice chair of the nonprofit Australian Privacy Foundation.

“A certain degree of openness is the price we pay for democracy. The salience of that unauthorized access depends very much on what data has been accessed — typically it won’t include health or financial data — and how it might be misused.”

Arnold said Australians could demand better cybersecurity protections and a national Bill of Rights enshrining privacy, something he said is not present in Australia’s constitution.

Steve Ledzian, vice president and Chief Technology Officer of cybersecurity firm FireEye’s Asia Pacific division, said the fact that the hack occurred mere months before the upcoming federal election in May should not be overlooked.

“Significant elections nearly always draw the interest of advanced attackers,”he said. “Other nation-states are interested to learn what’s happening behind the scenes, who is talking with whom, how policies are formed, and so on. This information is increasingly collected through cyber espionage because it’s incredibly effective, economical, low risk and offers plausible deniability.

“A big question for Australian leadership is when will they start publicly attributing targeted cyberattacks. Disclosure alone helps raise awareness but offers little deterrence for attackers.”

While many Americans are familiar with Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election, in which over 150,000 private Democratic emails were released, state actors hacking into each others’ systems is commonplace, according to Jacob Furst, director of DePaul’s School of Computing.

“It happens all the time,” he said. “And only in fairly rare cases does it reach this scale and success.

“The interesting thing about a state actor potentially being behind this is that identity fraud is probably not a very likely outcome. The Russian government is not interested, probably, in filing false Australian tax returns.”

Furst said blackmail or vote rigging might be possible motives for the hack, though he said the true motive might ultimately be more benign.

“If it is a state agent, they’re just trying to gather information about the Australians that might be helpful or useful in international negotiations — the kind of spying that’s been done for as long as there have been states, but enabled in a new technological way,” he said.

So is the theft of citizens’ supposedly private data by malicious actors the “new normal” going forward?

“It is absolutely the new normal. This is what the cybersecurity landscape looks like right now,” Furst said. “Organized crime and nation states perpetuating hacks either to get money or to, probably, influence diplomacy in some kind or another and gain advantage for the nation.”

Arnold, of the Australian Privacy Foundation, said that in Australia the government should implement “greater monitoring, tougher sanctions, better network design and a coherent national data protection — ­including privacy — regime through systemic reform of law at the national and state-territory level.”

“We assume, of course,” he added, “that the NSA is having fun mining our telecommunications.”

6 Responses to “Australia cyber hack raises privacy concerns”

1. Chryssy Berry from USA on February 25th, 2019 9:49 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

2. Chryssy Berry from USA on February 28th, 2019 10:03 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com .

3. Natasha Wanderly on March 19th, 2019 10:15 pm

4. Mahedi Hasan on April 1st, 2019 11:45 am

Last time I wanted to hack my girlfriend WhatsApp. But I was unable to do it. I noticed this site is providing a WhatsApp hacking service. Would you like to know me how much I will be benefited if I will purchase their tools? And they have a blog about WhatsApp hacking, https://www.cocospy.com/blog/whatsapp-hacking-tool.html. Please let me know if there are any more lefts. I know it’s not right!

5. MiracleSpellHome@yahoo.com on April 7th, 2019 7:58 pm

Dr. Miracle Herbal Medicine Is A Good Remedy For Herpes, I Was A carrier of Herpes and I saw a testimony on how Dr. Miracle, cure Herpes, I decided to contact him, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. After he finish casting the spell, he told me to go for check up, could you believe that i was confirm herpes negative after the test, and i went to a different hospital and it was also negative, i am so happy today because i’m free from herpes disease with the help of Dr. Miracle. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr.Miracle,herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to Dr. Miracle, Reach Him On ((MiracleSpellHome@yahoo.com)) Or What App Him Or Call: +39(349)549- 4143,,, DOCTOR MIRACLE CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:- (1). HERPES( 2). HIV/AIDS (3). CANCER ALL KINDS (4). Hepatitis A,B,C (5)Pregnant (6) Penis Enlargement ,,,,

6. Mogi on May 2nd, 2019 8:37 am

The hack raises a number of privacy concerns, ranging from Australian citizens’ personal information and voting records being hacked to the possibility of private emails being leaked. That’s true. Did you hear about this? New cyber security threat “Brainjacking” https://www.theonespy.com/brainjacking-cyber-security-threat-rise/

• Australia cyber hack raises privacy concerns

Nation & World

States chart own path on protecting immigrants

Nation & World

Argentina’s Macri faces growing discontent amid economic woes

Nation & World

Hong Kong legislature brawl shows deep divisions over extradition law

Nation & World

Trump plan would shift immigration focus to ‘merit’

Nation & World

Why don’t we vote like Australia?

Nation & World

Alabama ban on nearly all abortions in GOP governor’s hands

Nation & World

China retaliates on tariffs, stock markets go into a slide

Nation & World

Pentagon report: Sexual assault in U.S. military increased for female service members

Nation & World

Beyond Meat IPO shows growing appetite for alternative meat products

Nation & World

UN report warns of dire future for nature