Filed under News

Faculty Council floats four-day spring break

Graphic by Annalisa Barnowski for the DePaulia

The Faculty Council is mulling over the pros and cons of switching to a semester-based academic calendar and adjustments to spring break scheduling.

Faculty council addressed a possible four-day spring break as well as the much-debated quarter-to-semester change at its March 6 meeting.

Human Computer Interaction professor Craig Miller presented the four-day spring break proposal.

The proposal included two different versions. Version A creates the possibility for winter courses to start Jan. 2 with a full week of Spring Break. Version B would have winter courses starting Jan. 3 with a 4-day Spring Break from Tuesday to Friday. Both would occur during the 2022-2023 academic year.

According to Miller, the Associate Deans Council proposed and supported Version B.

According to the document from the discussion, those in favor of Version A argued that the schedule would accommodate students who study abroad over Spring Break. The document also said a full week is a necessary split between the end of Winter Quarter and the preparation for Spring Quarter. Students would also be able to know their grades from the Winter Quarter before the spring.

The document said those in favor of Version B support the late start; it would accommodate new transfer students who need to adjust their schedules as well as students who need an extra day after the holiday to return to the university, particularly international students.

Quarter-to-semester taskforce members Mary Ann Papanek-Miller and Caryn Chaden provided updates as to what the taskforce has done so far.

Papanek-Miller, chair of the Art, Media, and Design department, said the task force’s impetus is a part of the Strategic Plan which addresses studying the change. Papanek-Miller referred to the shift in calendar as “energetic.”

According to Papanek-Miller, the taskforce charges will be to examine the higher education landscape and relevant data; identify specific factors to consider in a transition; analyze the impact of a transition on pedagogy, learning outcomes, alignment with other universities and other pertinent factors; and produce a report describing academic pros and cons of a possible transition for further consideration.

Papanek-Miller said the taskforce plans to complete its work by June 7 of this year. She encouraged faculty to complete the climate survey.

The taskforce has interviewed staff from Ohio colleges and universities who recently transitioned from quarters to semesters in 2015, Papanek-Miller said, as well as Provost Marten denBoer, who participated in planning the process for California Polytechnic State University at Pomona.

Peg Birmingham, a philosophy professor, said she was disappointed that the committee’s charge did not include observing the impact that the switch will have on research time and productivity.

Chaden, an associate professor of English, said the survey would include questions pertaining to the impact, specifically about scholarship.

Sean Kirkland was on the subcommittee in the philosophy department that put together the self-study about how the change would affect the graduate program. Kirkland suggested that the greater number of courses the students take should be more diverse in study, because it is a principle virtue of DePaul.

Kirkland, a philosophy professor, said diversity of study is a virtue the university is not capitalizing on.

“I think one of the best things that can come out of this is that whichever way this goes, we can articulate why it’s gone that way,” Chaden said. She said Kirkland’s point should be focused on.

Kirkland also said there might be advantages to the quarter system that might not be in place yet.

“We haven’t been marking that greater diversity, that greater variety of interests [for] our students,” Kirkland said. “We haven’t been using it.”

The taskforce includes students Johnny Milas, an undergraduate, and Kaitlyn Pike, a graduate student. But students are diverse around the university, as Andrea Kayne pointed out.

Kayne, an associate professor and director of the Educational Leadership Doctoral Program, said she has students getting their doctorate or master’s degree at night. Kayne said it would be longer for those students to get through the program if there were to be a switch to semesters.

In addition to faculty survey, the taskforce plans to survey students in April.

Kayne also acknowledged that the law school is on the semester system. She asked whether some schools might be better suited for the switch to the semester system while others may be better with the quarter system.

Chaden said a partial switch might not work well.

The survey will be confidential but not anonymous, Chaden said. The taskforce needs to identify factors of the participants and groups to evaluate the decision of switching.

Chaden said the taskforce is trying to be as transparent as it can be.

“We are studying, we are exploring, we are seeing what the possibilities are,” Chaden said. 

4 Responses to “Faculty Council floats four-day spring break”

1. R on March 13th, 2019 9:42 am

No thank you. You can keep the quarter system in place. Don’t mess with it!

2. Geek Squad Support on March 15th, 2019 5:39 am

thanks for sharing this with us. if you need any kind of technical assistance then you can contact Geek squad Support for help. they are providing in-Home advisor service under which an agent will visit your home and consult about the problem your are facing then recommend you the best solution for it. you can visit this for further details. https://customerservices.us/geek-squad-tech-support/

3. Natasha Wanderly on March 15th, 2019 7:32 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

4. Clara James on March 16th, 2019 7:13 am

GREAT LOVE SPELL CASTER PRIEST WISDOM THAT HELP ME SAVE MY RELATIONSHIP.TEXT OR ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP: +2348124644470

My name is CLARA JAMES .i want to give thanks to PRIEST WISDOM for bringing back my ex husband.No one could have ever made me believe that the letter I’m about to write would actually one day be written. I was the world’s biggest skeptic. I never believed in magic spells or anything like this, but I was told by a reliable source (a very close co-worker) that Trust is a very dedicated, gifted, and talented person,It was one of the best things I have ever done. My love life was in shambles; I had been through two divorces and was on the brink of a third. I just couldn’t face another divorce, and I wanted to try harder to make our relationship work, but my husband didn’t seem to care. and he brake up with me again.I was confuse and do not no what to do again,rather them to get in contact with PRIEST WISDOM . He did a love spell that make my husband come back to me. we are now very much happy with our self. PRIEST WISDOM make him to realize how much we love and need each other.This man is for REAL and for good.he can also help you to fix your broken relationship. I had my husband back! It was like a miracle! He suddenly wanted to go to marriage counseling, and we’re doing very, very well,in our love life.contact email Supernaturalspell1@gmail.com text or add him up on whatsApp at: +2348124644470 ………////////

• News

Lincoln Yards development passes Zoning Committee

• Faculty Council floats four-day spring break

A new kind of storage

Chicago slowly sinks, leading to a number of city-wide issues

DePaul celebrates Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday

Metra issues further inconvenience commuter students

Adjuncts address ‘second-class citizenship’ status at town hall

Nonprofit tackles racial issues on campus and beyond

2019 Mayoral Race

Chicago treads to the polls with surprisingly low voter turnout

Chicago finalizes plans to install world’s first floating eco-park

2019 Mayoral Race

Election Coverage