Filed under News

Faculty Council floats four-day spring break

Graphic by Annalisa Barnowski for the DePaulia

The Faculty Council is mulling over the pros and cons of switching to a semester-based academic calendar and adjustments to spring break scheduling.

Faculty council addressed a possible four-day spring break as well as the much-debated quarter-to-semester change at its March 6 meeting.

Human Computer Interaction professor Craig Miller presented the four-day spring break proposal.

The proposal included two different versions. Version A creates the possibility for winter courses to start Jan. 2 with a full week of Spring Break. Version B would have winter courses starting Jan. 3 with a 4-day Spring Break from Tuesday to Friday. Both would occur during the 2022-2023 academic year.

According to Miller, the Associate Deans Council proposed and supported Version B.

According to the document from the discussion, those in favor of Version A argued that the schedule would accommodate students who study abroad over Spring Break. The document also said a full week is a necessary split between the end of Winter Quarter and the preparation for Spring Quarter. Students would also be able to know their grades from the Winter Quarter before the spring.

The document said those in favor of Version B support the late start; it would accommodate new transfer students who need to adjust their schedules as well as students who need an extra day after the holiday to return to the university, particularly international students.

Quarter-to-semester taskforce members Mary Ann Papanek-Miller and Caryn Chaden provided updates as to what the taskforce has done so far.

Papanek-Miller, chair of the Art, Media, and Design department, said the task force’s impetus is a part of the Strategic Plan which addresses studying the change. Papanek-Miller referred to the shift in calendar as “energetic.”

According to Papanek-Miller, the taskforce charges will be to examine the higher education landscape and relevant data; identify specific factors to consider in a transition; analyze the impact of a transition on pedagogy, learning outcomes, alignment with other universities and other pertinent factors; and produce a report describing academic pros and cons of a possible transition for further consideration.

Papanek-Miller said the taskforce plans to complete its work by June 7 of this year. She encouraged faculty to complete the climate survey.

The taskforce has interviewed staff from Ohio colleges and universities who recently transitioned from quarters to semesters in 2015, Papanek-Miller said, as well as Provost Marten denBoer, who participated in planning the process for California Polytechnic State University at Pomona.

Peg Birmingham, a philosophy professor, said she was disappointed that the committee’s charge did not include observing the impact that the switch will have on research time and productivity.

Chaden, an associate professor of English, said the survey would include questions pertaining to the impact, specifically about scholarship.

Sean Kirkland was on the subcommittee in the philosophy department that put together the self-study about how the change would affect the graduate program. Kirkland suggested that the greater number of courses the students take should be more diverse in study, because it is a principle virtue of DePaul.

Kirkland, a philosophy professor, said diversity of study is a virtue the university is not capitalizing on.

“I think one of the best things that can come out of this is that whichever way this goes, we can articulate why it’s gone that way,” Chaden said. She said Kirkland’s point should be focused on.

Kirkland also said there might be advantages to the quarter system that might not be in place yet.

“We haven’t been marking that greater diversity, that greater variety of interests [for] our students,” Kirkland said. “We haven’t been using it.”

The taskforce includes students Johnny Milas, an undergraduate, and Kaitlyn Pike, a graduate student. But students are diverse around the university, as Andrea Kayne pointed out.

Kayne, an associate professor and director of the Educational Leadership Doctoral Program, said she has students getting their doctorate or master’s degree at night. Kayne said it would be longer for those students to get through the program if there were to be a switch to semesters.

In addition to faculty survey, the taskforce plans to survey students in April.

Kayne also acknowledged that the law school is on the semester system. She asked whether some schools might be better suited for the switch to the semester system while others may be better with the quarter system.

Chaden said a partial switch might not work well.

The survey will be confidential but not anonymous, Chaden said. The taskforce needs to identify factors of the participants and groups to evaluate the decision of switching.

Chaden said the taskforce is trying to be as transparent as it can be.

“We are studying, we are exploring, we are seeing what the possibilities are,” Chaden said. 

21 Responses to “Faculty Council floats four-day spring break”

1. R on March 13th, 2019 9:42 am

No thank you. You can keep the quarter system in place. Don’t mess with it!

2. Geek Squad Support on March 15th, 2019 5:39 am

thanks for sharing this with us. if you need any kind of technical assistance then you can contact Geek squad Support for help. they are providing in-Home advisor service under which an agent will visit your home and consult about the problem your are facing then recommend you the best solution for it. you can visit this for further details. https://customerservices.us/geek-squad-tech-support/

3. Natasha Wanderly on March 15th, 2019 7:32 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

4. Clara James on March 16th, 2019 7:13 am

GREAT LOVE SPELL CASTER PRIEST WISDOM THAT HELP ME SAVE MY RELATIONSHIP.TEXT OR ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP: +2348124644470

My name is CLARA JAMES .i want to give thanks to PRIEST WISDOM for bringing back my ex husband.No one could have ever made me believe that the letter I’m about to write would actually one day be written. I was the world’s biggest skeptic. I never believed in magic spells or anything like this, but I was told by a reliable source (a very close co-worker) that Trust is a very dedicated, gifted, and talented person,It was one of the best things I have ever done. My love life was in shambles; I had been through two divorces and was on the brink of a third. I just couldn’t face another divorce, and I wanted to try harder to make our relationship work, but my husband didn’t seem to care. and he brake up with me again.I was confuse and do not no what to do again,rather them to get in contact with PRIEST WISDOM . He did a love spell that make my husband come back to me. we are now very much happy with our self. PRIEST WISDOM make him to realize how much we love and need each other.This man is for REAL and for good.he can also help you to fix your broken relationship. I had my husband back! It was like a miracle! He suddenly wanted to go to marriage counseling, and we’re doing very, very well,in our love life.contact email Supernaturalspell1@gmail.com text or add him up on whatsApp at: +2348124644470 ………////////

5. Geek squad on March 23rd, 2019 2:29 am

Geek Squad Support effectively gives assistance on the substitution of old and harmed gadgets. Our experts are working 24/7 for customer support. In case of any tech help contact geek squad support.
    https://geekstechs.org/geek-squad-support/

6. Agnes Pete on March 23rd, 2019 11:41 am

Anyone here that has experience emotional heartbreak will understand how i feel and will understand how i went to any length to get the love of my life back up until i met the great prophet it all felt impossible and i have begin to loose hope on getting francisco back cause he left and told me he never wanted to see me again in his life and i have been the witch behind his lack of progress and he cant progress in life. but after meeting with the great DR ISIKOLO and discussed with him, he gave me my lover back something i never felt was possible anymore and i ave become a laughing stock to everyone at home and work even his business associate laughed at me and called me names. now i am smiling as my marriage invitation is given to them to also get help from this good man email at isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com and tell him magret link you up and i believe as you do so it will bring an end to all your relationship problem or Whatsapp him on +2348133261196

7. gerrykirsten on March 25th, 2019 5:14 am

HP Printer Support is active helpline that is available round the clock to resolve Hp printer problems. If you face any problem with your printer like device is not working properly, paper jamming issue, cable wire problem and others then reach experts of HP Printer Support and get instant help. For more information visit:- https://hpprinterstroubleshooting.com/

8. gerrykirsten on March 27th, 2019 2:50 am

Acer Support is a team of well experienced experts who takes care of your Acer devices. If you are facing any problem with your Acer device like your device is crashed, device is not working properly or any other problem then contact toll free number of Acer Tech Support and get instant help. For more information:- https://techsupportsnumber.com/acer-support/

9. aol mail support on March 27th, 2019 3:18 am

AOL Tech Support Phone Number is a customer care helpline that is offered by one of world’s best mail service provider. The experts at this toll-free helpline renders all your forget password, password recovery and other related issues. Reach them anytime of day or night at AOL Tech Support whenever you need their help. For more information:- https://techsupportsnumber.com/aol-tech-support/

10. gerrykirsten on March 27th, 2019 4:14 am

Dell Printer Support is a team of well experienced experts who takes care of your dell device problems. If face any problem with your device like your device is crashed, device is not working properly, paper jamming or others then contact at Dell Support and get instant help. For more information:- https://hpprinterstroubleshooting.com/dell-printer-support/

11. roberthudsen on March 27th, 2019 5:35 am

Canon Printer Support is a team of experts who takes care of your canon device issue. If face any problem with your device like your device is crashed , device is not working properly or others then contact Canon Support and get instant help. For more information:- https://hpprinterstroubleshooting.com/canon-printer-support/

12. faith on March 27th, 2019 9:05 am

Hello, My name is Faith am from USA ….. and I am very happy for posting on this blog on how a great spell caster helped me bring back the love of my life. I know there are lots of women like me out there who have done so much just to have back their Husband, I am here to tell you all to search no further because the answer is right here. I sincerely believe if there are up to five spell casters like DOCTOR WTAHA this world would be a better place, I contacted him and shared my problems to him and he gave me the terms and conditions, which I obeyed, it only took 3 days for my husband to come back home begging for my forgiveness. To cut the long story short. I am now living happily with my husband. Thanks to Dr TWAHA . Contact him now on email: drlregbeyen10000@gmail.com . Or reach him on whats app +2349038518881 or call him . He can save your marriage or relationships too.

13. gerrykirsten on March 28th, 2019 8:50 am

Brother Printer Support is a team of well experienced experts available round the clock to resolve your printer problems. If you face any problem with your device like cable problem, cartage problem, paper jamming and others then reach the experts at Brother Support toll free number and get instant help. For more information:- https://hpprinterstroubleshooting.com/brother-printer-support/

14. Chryssy Berry from USA on March 28th, 2019 11:13 pm

15. fix it on March 31st, 2019 10:18 pm

fix your fucking comments system… all the spam bots are ridiculous and a poor reflection on you.

16. vivin vose on April 3rd, 2019 12:45 am

Hello am From Canada. I feel so joyful today because of the help Dr Abaka has rendered to me for getting my Husband back with his spell. I have been married for 3 years and it has been so terrible because my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i came across Dr Abaka Email, on the internet posted by a lady, i decided to get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr Abaka is truly a real spell caster. Why not contact Dr Abaka now if you are facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email drabakaspelltemple@gmail.com or call/whats app +2349063230051

17. gerrykirsten on April 3rd, 2019 7:35 am

Epson Printer Support is available round the clock to resolve your printer problems. If you face any problem with your Epson printer device like device is not working properly, cable problem, cartage problem, blank screen and others then contact at Epson Support and resolve your issue in no time. For more information:- https://hpprinterstroubleshooting.com/epson-printer-support/

18. Tereza Vasquez on April 11th, 2019 1:42 pm

I am sharing this testimony to partners suffering in their relationships because there is an enduring solution.
    My husband left me and our 2 kids for another woman for 3 years. I tried to be strong just for my kids but I could not control the pains that torment my heart. I was hurt and confused. I needed a help, so i did a research on the internet and came across a site where I saw that Dr Isikolo a spellcaster, can help get lovers back. I contacted him and he did a special prayer and spells for me. To my surprises, after 2 days, my husband came back home. That was how we reunited again and there was a lot of love, joy and peace in the family.
    You can as well contact Dr Isikolo, a powerful spell-caster for solutions on his contact isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com You can also Whatsapp him on +2348133261196

19. gerrykirsten on May 15th, 2019 8:12 am

AVG Support helps the troubled customers who are having issues with there antivirus software. Also the experts working at the AVG Support Number are accessible 24/7 to rescue every user. For more information:- https://techsupportsnumber.com/avg-tech-support-phone-number/

20. Donald Luke on May 15th, 2019 3:27 pm

PENIS ENLARGEMENT, WEAK ERECTION, FEEL LIKE A KING IN BED POWERFUL LOVER WITH COMPLETE CONTROL IN BED YOU CAN FUCK ANY WOMAN TO ORGASM AND IT,S EASY My name is Greg Williams from USA am here today to testify about my true life story many men all over the world today are suffering of small joystick (PENIS) and weak erection of the penis. I am 56 YEARS and have lived a very lonely life because of it. I can,t even look at women in the eye because of it. It has caused me great torment through-out my life. I had sex with a lot of girls but also had a lot of rejections and a lot of girls mock on my size. For me the thoughest part is not that girls mock on my size but when my wife packed out of the house and started seeing another man. Let’s me say that 85% of men & youth all over the world are really suffering of small joystick (PENIS) and weak erection of the penis. Some men today no longer enjoy their spouse any more, due to the size and weak erection of the penis, because of this act their ladies goes out to have sex with those men that their penis is bigger still strong and stand erect. This act breaks marriages or relationship. My condition have changed today after contacting DR.Ilekhojie the great herbalist, If you,re in the same condition please contact him via his email: gethelp05@gmail.com …. YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS.. YOU CAN ALSO CALL / ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP USING THIS MOBILE NUMBER:+2348147400259 so you can feel like a REAL MAN AGAIN AND BE HAPPY FOR LIFE……

21. hp printer support on May 18th, 2019 12:23 pm

Welcoming you to HP Printer Support Phone Number
    – The best place to fix printer related issues online without compromising any important work. No more waiting or staying in long ques for HP Printer Support because Customer Support Number is here to help you fix all in one place.

• Faculty Council floats four-day spring break

Spring Carnival brightens up DePaul

Metro

COMMENTARY: Chicago will remember Emanuel as he was, not as he wants

Metro

Potential solutions to urban flooding not attainable for communities that need them most

Students break fast and learn about Ramadan at Interfaith Iftar

Metro

Pilsen proposes historic landmark to slow gentrification

Metro

Chicago public health department confirms measles case

Metro

Pregnant Chicago woman slain, baby cut from her womb

Duckworth proposes increased funding for on-campus child care

Metro

Transparency trouble: New database shows police misconduct records for Chicago and beyond

Discussion at DePaul free speech forum falls short of compromise