Great defense by DePaul men’s soccer and Loyola leads to a 0-0 Stalemate

In a tough game between the two Chicago rivals, DePaul (4-4-2) ties Loyola (4-3-1) 0-0 in double overtime.

Blue Demons’ goalie Mack Robinson had a great game with six saves. He now has 46 saves this season and remains No. 1 in the Big East and No. 15 in the country in saves.

Although DePaul played great defense, it seemed like the Ramblers were playing more aggressively on the offensive end. They outshot the Blue Demons 17-9 and took more corner kicks 8-5.

“There was a couple stretches in the game where we looked really good. We were able to connect two, three, four passes and we just weren’t able to get a fantastic look,” DePaul coach Craig Blazer said.

The Blue Demon’s did have their chances to win the game in 84th minute, but the Rambler’s Tim Dobrowolski stopped Jalen Harvey’s header.

“Their goalkeeper made a fantastic save on that final goal and that could have been the difference,” Blazer said.

Unlike Seton Hall, where DePaul scored three goals in 30 minutes, they didn’t have their usual offensive magic. DePaul averages over a goal a game, but today Loyola played great defense.

“Unlike Seton Hall, where we had four looks and three goals, today we had four really good looks and no goals,” Blazer said.

Although the Blue Demons had a good first and second half, taking nine total shots, they failed to take a shot in either overtimes.

“Loyola made it difficult and we had to come up with some new answers,” Blazer said.

Luckily, defense has always been DePaul’s calling card and they were able to hold Loyola to no goals.

“We wanted to keep it to zero, but we were working hard to win the game. So I give our guys a lot of credit,” Blazer said.

Fouls were a big part of the contest with DePaul committing 21 fouls to Loyola’s 16.

According to Blazer, his team committed that many fouls because they were feeling out the referee.

Frustration did start to set in, especially in the 90th minute, when DePaul’s George Moushi collided with Loyola’s Ryan Howe. Moushi got called for the foul and Howe believed there was something a little extra in the collision. Howe pushed Moushi at midfield and both players had to be separated by the referee.

Then in the 93rd minute, Howe had another incident with DePaul’s Caleb Pothast. Pothast slide tackled Howe and swiped his right leg. Luckily, Howe was well enough to rise to his feet, but he was taken out of the game and replaced by Ben Crognale.

Although Howe was ok, Loyola coach Neil Jones didn’t like that the referee only called a foul.

“That’s a yellow card!” Jones screamed at the referee.

Jones was so angry with the calls being made during the game that the referee had to stop the game to tell him to calm down.

Hopefully the Blue Demons can mimic their defensive intensity in their next game at Villanova Saturday at 12 p.m.

“We’ll take this lesson and move forward as we go to Villanova and have our second Big East game,” Blazer said.