Weekend round up: April 25-27

Chicago’s alive this weekend with a ton of fun events going on around the city.  If you’re a bookworm, a roller derby fan or lover of rap music -or all three – this weekend was made for you.  Check out our recommendations of what to do this weekend in Chicago.

Chicago Born and Bred Author’s Night, Seminary Co-Op Bookstore

Friday, April 25, 5:30 p.m.

Enjoy the works of local authors, Joseph G. Peterson, Bill Hillmann, Ben Tanzer and Alexai Galaviz-Busziszewski as they read selections from their latest releases.   Peterson’s novel “Gideon’s Confession” follows the story of Gideon Anderson, a man who drifts through life on his rich uncle’s payroll, until his Uncle dies and Gideon is faced with a decision as to what to do with the rest of his life. Hillmann’s “The Old Neighborhood” is the story of Joe Walsh as he grows up around Chicago violence.   Tanzer will be reading from his collection of essays, “Lost in Space,” which focuses on child rearing topics.  Galaviz-Budziszewski tells the story of a young immigrant growing up in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago that has the ability to bring people back from the dead.  The event is free and open to the public.

Chicago Red Hots Roller Derby, Cicero Stadium

Saturday, April 26, 6 p.m.

It’s impossible to predict whether or not the Blackhawks will still be in the Stanley Cup playoffs by Saturday. However, Chicagoans can still cheer on the Chicago Red Hots Roller Derby team as they take on the Pennsylvania All Stars this Saturday.  The games are high energy and tickets are low cost, $15 apiece ($10 for students) so it’s really a win-win situation.  You can purchase tickets online at the team’s website.

Iggy Azalea, House of Blues

Sunday, April 26, 6 p.m.

Female Australian rapper, Iggy Azalea has recently been making her way up the charts with her songs like “Fancy” and “Work,” and this Sunday her “The New Classic” tour will be stopping in Chicago.  End your weekend right by dancing and rapping along to Azalea’s songs. The show is sold out, but you can still grab a ticket on StubHub with prices starting at $53.