Weekend round up: St. Patrick’s Day Edition

This weekend everyone’s Irish in Chicago. The town will be painted green (well at least the river will be) as St. Patrick’s Day events pop up around the city. Here are a few of our recommendations to check out while celebrating this weekend.

St. Patrick’s Day River Dying, Chicago River
Saturday, 10 a.m.

One of Chicago’s most unique St. Patrick’s Day tradition is the dying of the Chicago River bright green. If you’ve never been to the river dying, let this year be your first. The site of the Chicago River in a shade of bright Kelly green is one to behold. The best viewing spot for the river dying is the East side of the bridge at Columbus Drive. Make sure to get there early to get a good spot as the crowds tend to be huge.

St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Columbus Drive (between Monroe St. and Balbo Dr.)
Saturday, Noon

After seeing the Chicago River turn green, make your way towards Grant Park for the annual St. Patrick’s Day parade. The parade always features teams of Irish Dancers and brigades of bagpipes making their way down the pavement. Plan to get there early for a good view, and make sure to rock your brightest green fashion ensemble.

40th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Party, Abbey Pub
Saturday, 1 p.m. – 1 a.m.

Keep your St. Patrick’s Day celebration going after the parade and head north to Abbey Pub in Irving Park. The pub features live Irish music all day from a variety of bands including Fitz & the Celts, The Holy Hour House Band and The Great Whiskey Project. Tickets for the event can be purchased from Abbey Pub’s website and cost $10.