Weekend round-up: Feb. 21-23

Has the vaguely spring-like weather put a spring in your step for the weekend? Hop over all the lake Michigan sized puddles on the sidewalks and streets and explore what the city has to offer in the next few days.

Ô_

“The Room” Midnight Screening – The Music Box Theater Friday, Feb. 21, Midnight

“The Room” is often credited as the worst film ever made and fans of the dark comedy wouldn’t hesitate to agree. The film follows main character Tommy (played by Tommy Wiseau, who also wrote and directed the film) as he discovers his fiancêÑÔ©e Lisa is cheating on him with his best friend. The over the top acting and drama gives the film a sense of hilarity that’s helped make it a cult classic. Tickets for the midnight showing cost $10 and can be purchased in advance online.

Ô_

Southern Brunch Cooking Class – The Chopping Block Satuday, Feb. 22, 10:00 a.m.

Tired of Chartwells and Grubhub catering all of your meals? Treat yourself to a cooking class at The Chopping Block, and learn the skills you need to make a delicious meal for yourself. Start your Saturday morning off right by learning how to whip up a Southern Brunch that includes Beignets, Eggs Sardou, Shrimp and Grits and Banana Whiskey Bread Pudding. You’ll learn basic skills such as how to make yeast-risen dough and how to sautêÑÔ© shrimp. The class costs $55 and you can register on The Chopping Block’s website, and don’t worry- you do get to eat everything you cook.

Ô_

Poutine Fest – Haymarket Brewery Sunday, Feb. 23, 12 – 2 p.m. or 4 – 6 p.m.

It’s undeniable that Chicago loves its food festivals, and Poutine Fest is one of the newest to grace our fair city. For those that don’t know, poutine is a Canadian delicacy comprised of French fries covered in cheese curds and smothered in gravy- a slightly alarming yet non the less delicious combination. Ten different Chicago restaurants, including the likes of Green Door Tavern and the Haymarket Pub and Brewery, will be battling at the fest for the title of Chicago’s best poutine. General Admission tickets for the fest are available online for $70 and include 2 drink tickets, 10 poutine tickets and a limited edition Poutine Fest bag. All ticket profits benefit the Growing Home foundation.