DePaul addresses safety concerns after multiple robberies on campus Saturday

Kiersten Riedford

Multiple assault and battery incidents on DePaul’s campuses during the last academic year prompted students to push for increased safety measures, such as changing the university from an open to closed campus, improving Public Safety response time and speeding up the delivery of safety alerts. A string of robberies on the Lincoln Park campus over the weekend has reignited student’s safety concerns.

On Saturday, Sept. 9, Public Safety sent an alert notifying students of two robberies on DePaul’s Lincoln Park campus at 1:15 a.m. According to the alert, the first incident happened at 935 W. Fullerton Ave. and the second was at 949 W. Belden Ave. During the first incident, Public Safety said two male offenders approached two students and demanded their belongings. In the second incident, two male offenders approached three students. 

At 2:36 a.m., Public Safety sent a second alert notifying students of a third incident on 1047 W. Fullerton Ave. near the corner of Kenmore Avenue and Fullerton Avenue. In this alert, Public Safety said it appears the same individuals from the previous two incidents also were involved. This time, safety officials said one of the perpetrators hit a student in the face. Because of the physical contact, Public Safety said they consider the incident a robbery and battery.

All three incidents happened between approximately 1 a.m. and 1:30 a.m, according to Public Safety. 

DePaul President Robert Manuel sent a message to the university midday Saturday addressing the robberies. According to Manuel, the university believes the same offenders were responsible for all three incidents, but Chicago police have not confirmed this yet.

“We are deeply upset [that] our students had this alarming experience on our campus … Chicago continues to face ongoing challenges with criminal activity across the city. We must acknowledge this sad reality and respond accordingly,” Manuel said in his statement. 

Manuel said to prevent more safety incidents on DePaul’s campuses, the university plans to increase the Public Safety presence in the Loop and Lincoln Park by adding more security officers. He also said DePaul filed concerns with the mayor, police commander and elected officials regarding the previous night’s incidents. 

Manuel is urging students to utilize DePaul’s safety resources, including:

Manuel also urged students to stay alert in groups after dark and to report criminal activity or suspicious behavior to Public Safety.

On Thursday, Sept. 14, the university will host a Campus Safety Summit at noon in the Lincoln Park Student Center.