Weekend round up: October 25-27

With Halloween just around the corner, take time this weekend to celebrate some of horror movies’ monsters: Godzilla, swamp creatures and zombies. Searching an old graveyard or decrepit boathouse for the creatures isn’t a recommended activity, but watching some of the classic movies they star in is.

The 7th annual B Movie celebration is being held this weekend at the Hollywood Boulevard Theater out in the southwest suburb of Woodridge this Friday through Sunday. Anyone who is a fan of camp and kitsch will have a great time watching a collection of these classic genre movies in a movie theater setting.

The festival will be showing both short and full-length films, some of titles that stand out include, “King Crab Attack!” and “Space Milkshake.” New films, “Zombie Resurrection” and “After Midnight” will be making their world premiers at the festival on Saturday evening. Individual tickets for showings cost $8, but all day tickets can be purchased for $15-$35 depending on the day. A weekend pass for the festival costs $90.

If you don’t want to make the trek out to the suburbs to watch your favorite B movies, head over to Odd Obsession Movies in Bucktown. The small movie shop offers DVD and VHS rentals of classic B movies as well as other classic and contemporary movies. The store’s rental prices are comparative to Redbox, but offer a much wider selection of films. A DVD rental costs $3 for 3 nights or $4 for 1 week. A VHS rental costs $2 for 3 nights or $3 for 1 week. Perfect for a low cost scary movie night with friends.

Viewing so many B movies can really build up an appetite, especially if you don’t have popcorn to snack on while watching. But you can grab a bite to eat at Kitsch’n on Roscoe located at 2005 W. Roscoe Street. The Roscoe Village restaurant has a funky 1970s theme, complete with Formica tables and a menu with “cult status” items. Grab a bite of brunch without breaking the bank. The restaurant’s coconut crusted French toast only costs $8.99.