Weekend round-up: Oct. 10-13

Midterms are creeping around the corner, which means for most of us this weekend will be spent curled up in the library surrounded by our laptops, textbooks and occasional tears. Although education is the reason we’re all at DePaul, there’s no reason we can’t take a study break now and then. So in the interest of keeping things scholarly, this weekend round up includes things to do around the city that are both fun and a little bit educational.

A movie break is a classic way to split up some studying time, but instead of popping in your copy of “Mean Girls” into your DVD player for the millionth time, check out a new film at the 49th annual Chicago Film Festival.

This Thursday is the first day of the festival that goes until October 24, at the AMC River East movie theater. Consider grabbing tickets to see “Kill Your Darlings” on Friday night. The film stars Daniel Radcliffe as a young, famed poet of the beat generation, Allen Ginsberg.

The story follows a young Ginsberg as he leaves his hometown of Patterson, N.J. and emotionally ill mother to attend Columbia University at the urging of his father. At Columbia he’s exposed to art and culture he’s never experienced before and pursues his own creative dreams. The film is directed by John Krokidas and students can purchase tickets for $16.

Listening to classical music has been shown to help students study and learn more efficiently, but don’t go running for your iPod just yet. Instead, visit a Chicago Symphony Orchestra performance this weekend. Riccardo Muti will be conducting a performance Friday evening of music from Romeo and Juliet.

The program specifically includes Mozart’s Divertimento in D Major, K. 136, Hindemith’s Violin Concerto and Prokofiev’s Suite from Romeo and Juliet. Tickets can be purchased online starting at $35 for partial view seats and $60+ for full view seats. Remember, a live music performance has much better sound quality than a set of computer speakers.

However, if you can’t tear yourself away from studying for the length of a movie or concert, you still deserve to treat yourself this weekend. What better way is there to treat yourself than with an delicious treat? Head over to Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams shop on Southport Avenue, right off of the Southport Brown Line stop.

Play with ice cream flavor combinations in a waffle cone and try some of the limited edition and seasonal flavors. Although the ice cream is a little pricey, its midterms week and you’re worth it.