The final countdown: ‘Arrested Development’ starts Sunday

This is the the story of a critically acclaimed television show that got cancelled, and the one video streaming service that had no choice but to bring it all back. Netflix is about to unmake a huge mistake Sunday, May 26 as it releases the much anticipated fourth season of “Arrested Development.”

Originally, Fox canceled the show in February 2006 due to weak ratings, but the comedy’s cult following has demanded it back on air ever since.

In summer 2012, Netflix answered fan’s outcries by announcing the fourth season of the show would begin filming a 15 episode season in August, which would all premiere the same day on its video-streaming service.  

Sneak peeks and trailers for the upcoming season show that the new episodes still retain some of the comedy’s original charm.   In one already released scene, an ankle monitor bound-Lucille Bluth avoids getting in trouble for smoking in her apartment and setting off her bracelet by blowing the smoke from her cigarette into son Buster’s mouth, who then runs to the patio to blow it out the window. 

It’s that quirky charm and outrageous comedy that has made “Arrested Development” fans some of the most devoted and eager for the series return.

“I’m so excited to see what they’re doing with the show,” said Jennifer Latshaw, a senior art history major at DePaul.  “I’m ready to catch back up with all the characters.”

Netflix, along with “Arrested Development” creator Mitchell Hurwitz, revealed that the show will be taking place in present day and will explain what’s happened in the six years since the series originally ended.  Fans can also expect some of their favorite recurring gags from the original run, including Buster’s juice addiction, George Michael and Maeby’s romance and the return of the Bluth family’s stair car. 

“I’m ready for the new episodes, but I hope they keep the old things that make Arrested Development great,” said Shannon Daly, a DePaul sophomore theater arts major.  “But I’m worried they’ll rely too heavily on the old comedy and I want to see new things from the show.”

The balance of new and old comedy in the episodes is something the writers will have to deal with to keep fans happy.  The devoted fan base has high expectations for the show’s return.

“‘Arrested Develepment’ is definitely my favorite television show,” said Megan Daley, a senior journalism major at DePaul. “I personally connect with both George Michael and Ann, but I also have a strong belief that there’s always money in the banana stand.”

With just a few days to the show premiere on Netflix, fans are already making plans on how they’re going to celebrate its return.

“I’ve been re-watching the old seasons slowly,” said Latshaw.  “I’ll probably marathon it a bit when it comes back on.”

Daley also plans on marathon-ing the show May 26.

“I definitely plan on bingeing on Netflix and watching all the episodes in one day,” said Daley.  “I’m glad we don’t have school that day because if we did, I’d definitely skip it.”