Green city market returns to Lincoln Park

The Lincoln Park farmer’s market opened for the season Saturday, May 10. Located not far from Oz Park in the Lincoln Park High School parking lot is a vibrant array of fresh, local produce and other items. Beat the crowd by coming early, the market is open from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Vegetables in season currently include: eggplant, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, sprouts, radishes, peas, lettuce and asparagus. Although other fruits and vegetables will be available, those that are in season and  are recommended for purchase now. Consuming in-season produce that is full of nutrients is better for your health, and the earth’s well-being. They typically have less growth hormones and chemicals, are naturally more flavorful, and not to mention, cheaper. Favorite summer fruits like strawberries and blueberries will be ripe and in season come June.

The miles travelled for food that is grown locally and in season is much less than for fruits and vegetables that must be transported from other parts of the world. Consumers are accustomed to being available to any type of produce at any time of the year, despite the growing season present in their climate. The ease of going to the supermarket and having a variety of product is not realistic in the sense of sustainable and environmentally friendly practices.

Another interesting farmers market in Lincoln Park can be found at Green City Market, a private company that strives to provide fresh, local products while educating the community on ways to eat sustainable and healthy foods. The market is located at the south end of Lincoln Park between Clark and Stockton and is open every Wednesday and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Green City has been raved about in the press and on yelp as a great place to go with the whole family. This Saturday, expect exciting new vendors, chef demonstrations, and a class on container gardening.

Green City market is giving the city market a run for its money, especially being open during the same Saturday hours. The extended Wednesday hours gives Green City a leg up on the competition. Their location near Lincoln Park Zoo guarantees them foot traffic, although it is far from the El, which is one advantage the Lincoln Park market has.

Lovers of food and sunshine should check out both of the farmers markets on Saturdays, it’s a great chance to get out of the house and explore the neighborhood.