DePaul discounts: a days worth of student disscounts around Lincoln Park

Living in Chicago in expensive in general, but its especially expensive for DePaul students living in Lincoln Park. The fashionable boutiques on Webster Avenue and the restaurants serving mouth-watering cuisine on Lincoln Avenue are tempting, but they are out of most students’ financial reach.

Fortunately, students need not despair. It is possible to enjoy much of what Lincoln Park and Chicago have to offer without breaking the bank. All you need for a frugal day of spending around campus is your student ID. Here, The DePaulia suggests an itinerary for a cheap day out in Lincoln Park.

10 a.m.

Start your morning off right with a hearty late breakfast from Jam ‘N Honey located at 958 Webster Ave. Fill up on fluffy pancakes or an omelet loaded with your favorite veggies, but make sure to flash your ID when the bill comes to get 10 percent off your meal.

“The food is delicious and yummy,” said Simone Caron-Vera, a sophomore marketing student at DePaul. “I love that they’re now serving dinner.”

11 a.m.

After you’ve finished breakfast, walk over to Armitage Avenue and spend the rest of the morning with a little retail therapy. Hit up American Apparel for some classic t-shirts and hoodies to rock during classes.

“American Apparel clothing is really basic so it’s good for college students to pair with different pieces and mix and match,” said Carissa Marconet, a sophomore communications and media student. “It’s cool we have a discount there.”

DePaul students receive 15 percent off their purchases with their ID.

12 p.m.

If you’re looking for accessories to go with your new outfit, Francesca’s, located at 2012 N. Halsted St., offers a wide selection for any style and a 15 percent discount.

1 p.m.

If you’re not interested in picking up a new scarf or pair of earrings for your outfit, but you do need a new pair of sturdy hiking boots for your next trek, visit Uncle Dan’s The Great Outdoor Store at 3551 N. Southport Ave. After you fill your arms with new outdoor adventure gear, make sure to show your student ID for 10 percent off of your purchase.

2 p.m.

Once you’ve worked up an appetite from your morning shopping, grab a delicious sandwich from one of the many great restaurants around campus.

“I absolutely love that the Bourgeois Pig names their sandwiches after books,” said Megan Daley, a senior journalism student. “It makes it feel more like an adventure ordering a sandwich.”

The Bourgeois Pig, located at 738 W. Fullerton Ave., offers students, staff and faculty a 10 percent discount on their meals.

If it’s a Friday, head down the street to Uncle Sammy’s at 1231 W. Fullerton before 3 p.m. DePaul students receive 50 percent off their meal, making it possible for a sub, a fountain drink, a bag of chips and a brownie to cost less than $6.

“It’s the best thing ever because as a college student it gets expensive eating out,” said Jennifer Latshaw, a senior art history student. “Uncle Sammy’s is an awesome local company that you can tell loves being part of the DePaul community. Half-Off Fridays are an awesome reason to support a great company.”

3 p.m.

It’s still possible to spend an afternoon pampering yourself on a student budget. Use your 10 percent student discount at Nail Fairy at 1239 W. Fullerton to get a manicure and five-minute arm and neck message for just $13, plus tip.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the hand, neck and back massages because I’ve never had that done before at a nail salon,” said Mandie Lederer, a junior communication and media student. “I thought it was great for the price.”

4 p.m.

Continue to treat yourself by getting a new trim or style at one of the hair salons in the area offering student discounts. The Great Clips at 1005 W. Webster offers students a haircut for just $9.99. If you don’t mind a quick trip on the CTA to the Loop, get a fresh new hair-do at XEX Hair Gallery at 35 W. Wacker Drive, where all hair, color and nail services are 30 percent off.

5 p.m.

No pampering is complete without indulging in a sweet treat. Luckily, Swirlz Cupcakes, located at 705 W. Belden, can cure any sweet tooth with their wide array of cupcakes. The only thing that can make their treats even sweeter is saving 10 percent on your purchases, just by showing your student ID.

7 p.m.

Now that you’re well-dressed and well-pampered, it’s time to enjoy the rest of your night out on the town. If you’re craving some delicious Chinese food for dinner and don’t want to make the journey to Chinatown, Big Bowl, located at 60 E. Ohio St., is a good option. Dine on Kung Pao Chicken or Mongolian Beef and savor the flavor, knowing students receive a 20 percent discount.

8 p.m.

There’s nothing better than dinner and a show. Students can pick up last-minute tickets for the latest plays and musicals brought to the city by Broadway in Chicago for just $25. Arrive at the box office just an hour before the curtain opens and show your student ID, and the best open seats in the house are yours.

“I think it’s great that Chicago Broadway gives students the opportunity to see high quality theater for a low price,” said Chelsea Robinson, a sophomore hospitality student. ” It’s a great culture experience.”

Currently playing is “I Love Lucy Live on Stage” at the Broadway Playhouse theatre, and student rush tickets to the show will save you $20-$60, depending on your seat.

9:30 p.m.

After a long day of savings, spend the rest of the night celebrating your frugalness. If sitting back at home and relishing in all the money you’ve saved isn’t your style, consider using your student discount one last time for a performance at the Second City. Take 15 percent off of your ticket price on any Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday show at the famous comedy theater located at 1616 N. Wells. What could be better than ending your day of student discounts with a night full of laughter and some extra change in your pocket?