Fall Out Boy reunites at Chicago gig

Fall Out Boy fans no longer have just the memories of the band, as the pop-punk rockers officially announced the end of their almost four-year hiatus Feb. 4.

“I checked my tweets and I saw (the announcement) and stared at it, not being able to process it,” said sophomore journalism student Sarah Greene. “I literally started crying out of pure happiness and told my roommates and called my mom crying.”

Greene wasn’t the only shocked fan that morning. News of the band’s return overtook social networking sites, radio stations and other news outlets.

Although rumors of the band’s return had been circulating on sites such as Twitter and Tumblr in the weeks leading up to Feb. 4, the members publicly denied any such reunion. The release of their new single “My Songs Know What You Did in The Dark (Light Em Up)” and the accompanying music video consequently took Fall Out Boy fans and the media by surprise. Many fans noted that the song itself had a different sound from what’s typical from the band.

“They’ve been gone for two and a half years or so and came back with a totally new sound,” said Becky Holloman, a senior graphic design student. “This isn’t the old Fall Out Boy, but if ‘Light Em Up’ is anything like the rest of the album, then I’m sure it’s fine and it will be amazing.”

In addition to the single, Fall Out Boy announced the worldwide release of a new album titled “Save Rock and Roll” May 6 and 7, along with spring tour dates for the “Save Rock and Roll” tour, their first since 2009.

In a final off-hiatus surprise, Fall Out Boy revealed that they were performing a show that same night at the Subterranean in Chicago, leaving legions of fans desperate for tickets.

Briana Bialk, a senior communications and media student, was one of the lucky few able to score a pair of tickets.

“It was probably the best Fall Out Boy show I’ve ever been to, and I’ve seen them 10 times live,” said Bialk. “The crowd was absolutely amazing and so into the show, and the band was completely engrossed and genuinely looked like they were having the time of their life.”

Greene was another lucky DePaul student in attendance. Initially ticketless, Greene made her way down to the venue anyway, touting a sign that said she’d “sell her soul” for a ticket to the night’s show. She didn’t end up having to make a deal with the devil for the ticket, as she was fortunate enough to be given the last spot on Fall Out Boy’s guest list by a guy who worked for the band.

“I didn’t let myself fully believe it,” said Greene. “When I handed the bouncer my ID, my name was on the list and I freaked out and I went in.”

Greene had a similar exciting concert experience to Bialk in the small setting of the Subterranean.

“It was better than I ever expected,” said Greene. “It just felt like what a Fall Out Boy show . . . should be, pure and candid.”

This feeling seems to be what the band hopes to achieve with their return. Fall Out Boy bassist, Pete Wentz, wrote in his personal blog as to why the band chose to return now.

“The music had to be right first, it’s all about the music,” he wrote. “There was no other part driving this . . . when we got together more recently we felt like we had written a few of the most compelling and heartfelt songs fall out boy has ever written. besides december 21 came and passed and we decided since the world didn’t end- why not put out some tunes.”

With the band officially back and ready to share their new music, fans are ready for next era of Fall Out Boy.

“I’m stoked,” said Bialk. “I’m completely excited for their next show in May.”

Greene agreed and also stated that she’s a combination of excited, anxious and relieved about the bands return and future.

“I don’t have to stress about the indefinite hiatus being definite anymore,” said Greene. “This is just such a big deal for the fans because we supported them no matter what.”

ξ

ξ

Fun fact: Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz was one quarter shy from graduating DePaul. He was majoring in Political Science.