News briefs: 11-4-13

Vincentian dinner on campus

The Student Government Association (SGA) met with Vincentians on campus including DePaul President Fr. Dennis Holtschneider, members of the community of Vincentian priests, the Daughters of Charity and other Vincentian lay groups on campus Oct. 31.

Many of the members of the Vincentian priest community are from abroad and have come to DePaul to pursue advanced degrees.

The informal gathering allowed the SGA to hear their stories and learn more about their role on campus.

This is the second time the SGA has met with the Vincentian community. They plan on gathering again for a similar event in the spring.

Simpsons producer speaks at DePaul

Mike Reiss, a writer and producer for “The Simpsons,” is coming to DePaul Nov. 4 to talk about the animation world and how the Simpsons was developed over the more than two decades the show has been on the air.

Reiss was one of the first writers to be hired to work on “The Simpsons” in 1989. By 1991 he had become an executive producer and showrunner for the show.

A showrunner is responsible to make sure that every aspect of the show is completed on time. The first episode he produced was “Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington.”

Among his other achievements Reiss has won four Emmys and a Peabody award for his work on the Simpsons. He also has been credited for writing “My Life in Ruins,” “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs,” “Horton Hears a Who” and the short “Queer Duck.”

The event is being hosted by the DePaul Activities board in the student center at 7 p.m. Food will be provided.

Arabian Nights kicks off new series

The classic story of the Arabian Nights is the inaugural production for the in the Sondra & Denis Healy Theatre at the Theatre School building. The production will kick off the season of the school’s new directors series, which allows for MFA directing students to show off their craft.

Directed by Kevin Kingston, a member of the 2014 class, the production is set in 16th century Baghdad.

The play tells the story of Shahrazad whose life depends on keeping her new husband King Shahrayar mesmerized by her stories, for if she doesn’t, she will end up executed in the morning like so many of the king’s previous wives.

The Healy Theatre is a flexible 100-seat theater located on the fourth floor of the Theatre School building. It is distinguished by its completely transparent north wall, which overlooks Fullerton Avenue.

The show will run through Nov. 10, shows are at 7:30 p.m. on weekdays and Saturdays, 2 p.m. on Sundays.