Know who’s on your ballot: SGA hosts ‘Meet the Candidates’ before election

(DePaul Student Government Association)

Student Government Association (SGA) held a Meet the Candidates event on Thursday, Oct. 20.

The event allowed students, both involved in SGA and not involved, to meet the students who are running for open senator positions. The open positions are: Senator for Graduate Students, Senator for Transfer Students, Senator for Theatre School, Senator for College of Law, Senator for Mission & Ministry, Senator for Sustainability, Senator for First Generation Students, Senator for Community & Government Relations, Senator for International Students and Senator for First Year Students.

At the event, candidates told students about why they chose to run for their desired role and why they are the best candidate for that position. 

Below, readers will find a list of candidates who are running for each position. As of now, there are students running for Senator of Mission and Ministry, Senator for Transfer Students, Senator for International Students, Senator for First Year Students, Senator for First Generation Students, Senator for Community and Government Relations and Senator for Sustainability. The positions of Senator for Graduate Students, Senator for Theatre School and Senator for College of Law will remain open. 

Elections for open positions may take place throughout the year. During the spring quarter, students will be able to vote on and run for executive positions, officer positions, senator positions and other representative roles.

Students can vote in the election on DeHUB and can register to be in the election portal now so they are able to vote faster once the ballot is released. When students register to be in the election portal, they will be reminded of the student government elections that occur throughout the year and in future academic years.

The ballot will be released on Oct. 27, and students have until 5 p.m. on Nov. 1 to vote on the candidates. 

Results for the election will be released at noon on Nov. 2. They can be found on SGA’s Instagram page @sgadepaul.

The following is a list of students running for each position:

Senator for Mission and Ministry

Elizabeth Eberlin, Gabriel Goldberg, Michelle Mikos and Trinh Vo

Senator for Transfer Students

Keram Ottman and Mayha Syed

Senator for International Students

Zahra Khan and Kohinoor Pandey

Senator for First Year Students

Jack Dhein

Senator for First Generation Students

Victoria Gomez Meza and Masuma Taqvi

Senator for Community and Government Relations

Suzan Arab

Senator for Sustainability

Amani Azeem