Pretty in pink, or Pinterest fodder? DePaul students weigh in on Vera Wang’s 2014 bridal line

It’s a Victoria Secret brand. It’s Elle Woods’ trademark. It’s almost the name of a pop star, but now, it’s Vera Wang’s latest wedding dress color.

Four shades of pink will be walking down the aisle for the Fall 2014 bridal season.

Described by the Huffington Post as petal, rose, coral and peony, these brightly colored gowns stray far from the pastel pinks and champagnes that the “alternative” or “modern” bride could select at today’s bridal boutique.

Vera Wang’s innovative style not only reflects her marquee clientele including Chelsea Clinton, Victoria Beckham, Jennifer Lopez and Kate Hudson, but it is also the reason why she broke into the bridal business.

Disappointed with the bridal gowns selection when planning her wedding to Arthur Becker in 1989 (from whom she is now separated), Vera Wang designed her own elaborate gown that cost $10,000 according to The Biography Channel website.

A year later, she opened her first bridal boutique in the Carlyle Hotel located on New York City’s Madison Avenue. Now, the 23-year-old brand that incorporates everything from perfume to daywear is a billion dollar per year industry.

From her black and tan wedding dresses in her Fall 2012 line to her red gowns designed for Spring 2013, Wang uses color to stand out from a bridal world gone white.

“(I) try to bring an edginess to a traditional business,” Wang said in a Business of Fashion interview.

Today Style credits Wang’s new line collection as just another way for brides to express themselves on their wedding day, but not all are excited with this fashion forward trend.

DePaul freshman Anna Kochakian deemed the dresses “Pinterest worthy,” but with her personal style preference for dark green and blue hues, she favors the traditional white or cream color for a wedding dress.

“I’m personally not into this color palette in the slightest,” Kochakian said, looking over the pink designs. “I don’t own anything with this type of color at all.”

Senior Andrew Kaster who studies marketing and sales at DePaul agreed. “I prefer white. I’d probably just stick to the traditional wedding dresses,” he said.

Even those who like bright colors and jewel tones like health sciences student Jesse Drewry are hesitant about the latest design that incorporates giant flower details.

“They look like really extravagant bridesmaid dresses. That’s kind of my personality so maybe, but probably not,” Drewry said.

For the ladies who do want to give new meaning to “blushing bride,” they will have to wait. According to Chicago’s Vera Wang General Manager Chelsea Polk, the new line will not be put into production until June or July 2014.

Next summer will give brides-to-be a chance to warm up to these intense autumn colors, but graduate student Jakub Rudnik thinks it’s safer to stray from the wedding color debate believing it’s dangerous territory to interfere with what women wear.

Rudnik said, “I’m not going to ruin my life on a dress.”