News briefs: 9-23-13

DePaul moves up in U.S. News rankings

DePaul moved up 15 spots in the U.S. News college rankings this year. With the gain, DePaul is now the 121st best college in the country. The university scored a 43 out of the 100 point scale that U.S. News uses to create its list.

University of Illinois-Chicago, Loyola and Northwestern also all gained substantially in rank. Northwestern moved up 20 spots to be ranked at 49.

The highest ranking school in Chicago is the University of Chicago, which was ranked 5th in the country this year.

DePaul opens up about tuition and enrollment

In an effort to be more transparent about how tuition is set every year, the university had the first of two open meetings with the Student Government Association and members of the DePaul community. In the meeting, representatives from Enrollment Management and Marketing, the Academic Fiscal Administration, and Financial Aid presented and answered question on their respective areas of expertise.

This is the first time that the administration has had an open meeting like this, according to David Kalsbeek, the Senior Vice President for Enrollment Management and Marketing. It is a meeting that he hopes can become an annual tradition.

During the meeting Alyssa Kupka, the Associate Vice President of the Academic Fiscal Administration revealed that there are currently 24,543 students enrolled at DePaul, and that 85 percent of the school budget is paid for by tuition from those students.

On Thursday the SGA will host a follow-up meeting focusing on the budget.

DePaul Index shows value of single family houses continues to rise

Cook County single family homes continue to rise in the second quarter of 2013, according to the Cook County House Price Index that was released by the Institute of Housing Studies at DePaul University.

The index shows that houses were up more than nine percent year-over-year and have been positive for four of the past five quarters.

The report also shows that while neighborhoods that saw limited foreclosures during the housing crises are starting to recover, neighborhoods that saw high levels of closures are still struggling to get back to precrises levels.

Theatre School kicks off season with ‘Our Town’

The first production of The Theatre School at DePaul University’s Fullerton Stage is Thornton Wilder’s “Our Town,” directed by Damon Kiely. Previews begin Oct. 2 and the production closes Oct. 13.

Winner of the 1938 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, the haunting and unsentimental piece shares moments from the lives of two families in their small New England town. Often called the Great American play, Our Town challenges those to realize life as we live it.

Special alumni appearances will include: John C. Reilly, Gillian Anderson, Alana Arenas, Ann Dowd, Tom Amandes, Lisa Joyce, Mary Grill, PJ Powers, Adam Poss and Lucy Sandy.