News in brief: 9-16-13

College of Education moves into new space

The College of Education moved out of the Schmidt Academic Center to a new home on Halsted Street The building at 2247 N. Halsted St. is now home to the college’s administrative and faculty offices and will host some classes, in particular night classes.

The vacated space in the SAC is under renovation with plans to house the Modern Language department, the Writing Rhetoric Discourse department, and the Writing Center. This move to the SAC is necessary to prepare McGaw Hall for demolition. McGaw is being knocked down to make room for a new building for the School of Music.

The tentative start date for construction on the new School of Music is July 2014.

“depaulblue” retired

Information Services at DePaul retired the “depaulblue” network and replaced it with a new network called “depaulsecure.” The new network will provide better security and easier connection.

Students will no longer need to use local clients or register their devices to access the network. Instead it only requires a Campus Connect login to gain access to the network.

Information Services recommends that students and faculty who are currently connected to the “depaulwireless” network also move their devices over to the “depualsecure” network instead.

Pope-Davis takes over as new provost

Donald B. Pope-Davis started as the DePaul’s new provost in July, taking over for Patricia O’Donoghue who served as interim provost for the 2012- 2013 academic year.

Pope-Davis comes to DePaul from Notre Dame where he served as vice president and associate provost for the last six years. In addition, he served as a coordinator of the Notre Dame’s Multicultural Research Institute and directed the university’s TRIO programs.

Pope-Davis was selected after a nationwide search for a new provost.

DePaul SACNAS chapter named 2013 Undergraduate Chapter of the Year

The Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/ Hispanics and Native Americans in Science has named the DePaul chapter as the “2013 Undergraduate Chapter of the Year.”

SACNAS is a nationwide organization committed to fostering success of Hispanic/ Chicano and Native American scientists in attaining advanced degrees and positions of leadership in science. SACNAS has over 90 chapters nationwide.

The award is given to honor overall excellence in a chapter. The DePaul SACNAS was selected for the award through an extensive review process that looked at the chapter’s activities and accomplishments from the preceding academic year.

The DePaul chapter was one of three chapters to be honored with an award of this kind. Indiana University was awarded “Graduate Chapter of the Year”, San Jose City College received the “Community College Chapter of the Year” award, and the University of Washington was also given the title of “Distinguished Chapter of the Year.”