Album Review: She & Him, “Volume 3”

With near perfect accordance with Chicago’s first few warm days, indie duo She & Him are releasing their third record, Volume 3, May 7.

In their third installment, Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward concoct the perfect collection of songs to chill out to on the quad on warm, breezy days. Deschanel’s charmingly quirky personality shines through on every track while the combination of her old-timey voice and Ward’s signature guitar style could convince anyone who didn’t know better that the album came out decades ago.

The album opens with “I’ve Got Your Number, Son,” an upbeat track featuring the piano and high-pitched backing vocals. The album continues its sunny disposition with “Never Wanted Your Love,” a song filled with racing violins and pouty lyrics. In “Something’s Haunting You,” Deschanel’s sing-songy voice complements the slow, rhythmic snare, while a xylophone adds the perfect childlike tone to the track. The duo later slows it down in “Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me,” a ballad that could easily be mistaken for a track off of the Grease soundtrack.  And, of course, the album wouldn’t be complete without Deschanel’s ooh-ing and ahh-ing throughout the entire record.

The duo definitely doesn’t disappoint with their third record. Keeping in synch with their typical retro sound, She & Him put forth everything from somber ballads to cheeky, upbeat tunes.

The album will come to life during the duo’s summer tour with Camera Obscura, which includes a Chicago date at the Aragon Ballroom June 29.

Volume 3 can be streamed on NPR’s website before the album’s May 7 debut.