Arts Club of Chicago caters to pros, novices

If you feel you’ve been to all the top art venues in Chicago, think again. Although the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Art Institute, the Chicago Cultural Center and even DePaul’s own art museum are all great art venues, the Arts Club of Chicago is understated, sophisticated and yet offers its exhibitions free to the public.

The Club, which has been around since 1916, offers visitors exhibits focusing on international and upcoming artists, and other artists already initiated and recognized in the art scene. According to artsclubchicago. org, the club’s main goal is “to encourage higher standards of art, maintain galleries for that purpose, and to promote the mutual acquaintance of art lovers and art workers.”

The Arts Club has certainly done so. By creating a membership option for those interested, the Club has continually provided phenomenal art specifically for those with a true admiration for art and the art world. Membership degrees include Professional (for engaged, working artists), Curator & Academic (for exhibition professors or curators), Director (for art administrators), Architect & Designer (for any type of designers or architects), and Patron (for nonprofessionals interested in the arts). Membership privileges include access to the dining room, private events, cocktail and tea parties.

Aside from the membership option, exhibitions are open for free to the public Tuesday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Exhibitions in more recent years offered a variety of artists, such as Andy Warhol, Maya Lin, Chris Ofili, Elizabeth Murray, Janice Kerbel and Meredyth Sparks – just to name a few. The Arts Club website gives an extensive list of artists featured from 1916, the opening year, to 2013.

The current featured exhibition displays the art of Josiah McElheny, an artist renowned for his prestige in glass blowing and sculpting. The Club’s exhibition on McElheny is entitled “Two Clubs,” and showcases two of his works: his film “The Light Club of Vizcaya: A Women’s Picture” (2012), and his recent installation

The Club for Modern Fashions (2013). The Club for Modern Fashions is a small room with glass walls, placed in the middle of the main room. Patrons are encouraged to dress up in 1920s clothing and enter the room, where there is more modern furniture, magazines and playing cards. The exhibit focuses on modernism, with the furniture and sleek look of the glass walls. McElheny combines this theme with the older feel of the 1920s for a unique experience. The performances take place Tuesday through Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., and afterwards, participants can enjoy complimentary lunch and drinks. If interested, sign up at http://mcelhenyvolunteers. setmore.com.

The current exhibit also features a number of movie posters for “The Light Club of Vizcaya: A Women’s Picture,” and regular showings of the 30-minute film. There is also a row of black and white photographs of people in the glass room, and a large, wall-sized print of visitors dressed in 1920s clothing walking up and down the giant staircase located in the building.

The Arts Club of Chicago is located at 201 E. Ontario St., a short walk from the Grand redline stop. McElheny’s exhibit will be on display through Dec. 13.