Filed under Opinions

Statement: Student group refuses to acknowledge Jerusalem as Israel’s capital

Ahed Tamimi is brought to a courtroom inside the Ofer military prison near Jerusalem, Monday, Jan. 15, 2018. Tamimi, 16, was filmed in December pushing, kicking and slapping Israeli soldiers, who stood by silently.  (Mahmoud Illean | AP)

Ahed Tamimi is brought to a courtroom inside the Ofer military prison near Jerusalem, Monday, Jan. 15, 2018. Tamimi, 16, was filmed in December pushing, kicking and slapping Israeli soldiers, who stood by silently. (Mahmoud Illean | AP)

DePaul’s Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) would like to strongly condemn the recent announcement made by President Trump on Dec. 6, 2017, declaring Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Under the 1947 Partition Plan, the United Nations has given Jerusalem a special status, recognizing it under international sovereignty and control. Since 1967, Israel has illegally annexed East Jerusalem and is deliberately disregarding and breaking international law. There in no other country in the world that has its embassy located in Jerusalem.

SJP DePaul also offers their unwavering support for Ahed Tamimi, a 16-year-old Palestinian student and activist. On Dec. 19, the Tamimi household was raided in the middle of the, night and shortly after, her parents were informed that she was being arrested, without reason for her arrest. Since then, Ahed has been detained, interrogated, and is facing charges of assault with prosecutors trying to force her into a confession.

According to Amnesty International, “Israeli authorities must release a 16-year-old Palestinian activist who could face up to 10 years in prison over an altercation with Israeli soldiers in the occupied West Bank.”

Ahed’s situation is no different than those of the countless Palestinian children who face persecution in Israeli courts daily. Her arrest took place just one week after her 15-year-old cousin, Mohammed Tamimi, was shot in the head by Israeli soldiers causing a partially broken skull and leaving him in a coma for several days. The Tamimi family is just one example of the endless list of the systematic violence which Palestinians face every single day under occupation.

Each year between 500 and 700 Palestinian children are prosecuted. This year alone, over 300 Palestinian children have been detained by Israeli forces. Under arrest, these children face brutal treatment including long interrogations, solitary confinement, and forced confessions. Due to this severe and unjustified repression Israel has a 99.7 percent conviction rate of Palestinians. No child should have to live under such harsh conditions of occupation, policing and persecution. Palestinians face this struggle day after day as they have for over 70 years.

In response Trump’s declaration as well as Ahed’s unjust detention, we decided to hold a silent protest and rally on Thursday, Jan. 18. A group of 25 people silently marched through DePaul’s campus and then gathered for a rally in front of the Student Center to assert that Jerusalem will always be the capital of Palestine. DePaul student organizations and other local Chicago organizations voiced their support and solidarity for the cause. In conclusion, SJP at DePaul stands in solidarity with Ahed Tamimi and all Palestinian political prisoners. We denounce Trump’s declaration and refuse to acknowledge Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.

3 Responses to “Statement: Student group refuses to acknowledge Jerusalem as Israel’s capital”

1. Matthew DiCarlo on January 22nd, 2018 10:04 am

Can you address the claim that “her parents were informed that she was being arrested, without reason for her arrest.”

This paragraph sits directly under a photo that is captioned, “Tamimi, 16, was filmed in December pushing, kicking and slapping Israeli soldiers, who stood by silently.”

These claims are in direct conflict, are they not? Either she committed assault on a member of the Israeli military, or she was arrested without reason, surely both cannot be true.

2. Miraclespellhome@yahoo.com on June 12th, 2018 5:23 am

I was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously came Across Dr Miracle, the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his Email: (MIRACLESPELLHOME@YAHOO.COM) I Explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 Disease totally after receiving his Herbal medicine, So My friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Miracle,that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS,LOW SPERM COUNT,ALS,ANCE PIMPUS,LUPUS VIRUS,You Can “CONTACT Via : Email : (MIRACLESPELLHOME@YAHOO.COM) You Can Contact Him Today And Get Your Problem Solved Or”Whats-app +23408071398555,)))

3. Doris Carter on August 7th, 2018 10:27 am

Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn’t find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was alll because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

• Statement: Student group refuses to acknowledge Jerusalem as Israel’s capital

Opinions

The opioid crisis finds itself in Suburbia, USA, and the silence around it is deadly

Opinions

Call me, maybe: The case for why phone calls are better than text messages

Opinions

How ‘America’s Dad’ fell from public grace

Opinions

Our obsession with killers continues to distort our ability to separate the murders from the mugshot

Opinions

Left on read

Opinions

Don’t call Israel an apartheid state

Opinions

Open letter to the DePaul Board of Trustees: Make your investment profile public

Opinions

Not a death sentence: Why we need to change the way we talk to cancer patients

Opinions

Kanye West’s pro-Trump views don’t add up

Opinions

Puff puff pass – in class?: How vapes are changing the futures of teenagers