#DePaulForAll: It’s not about the toilet paper – it’s about what the toilet paper represents

Photo courtesy of DePaul For All

Josh Kaufman, SGA Candidate

The odds are that you have never heard of Student Government. For the past two years, while SGA has worked to put on events for students, it seems to fall short where the students really need it. 91 percent of the money that goes to DePaul comes from tuition – it’s time students had a say where the university spends its money. SGA needs to be an advocate for students’ interests. The mission of our campaign is simple – to address campus safety, advocate for college affordability and ensure complete transparency of SGA.

Campus safety is not a one-point issue. As your next SGA representatives, we want to ensure the guards responsible for our well-being are well-compensated, able to unionize and receive the benefits that they are entitled to. Moreover, we will secure safe, alternative travel options, such as subsidized Ubers for students between 9 p.m. and 3 a.m. in order to ensure the safety of our student body. Other student governments across the country have been able to do this – why not DePaul?

If you are like us, you pay more per quarter on textbooks than you do for groceries. If this frustrates you, you are not alone. It’s time DePaul University began incentivizing professors to switch to Open Educational Resources, which are 100 percent free online textbooks. If you prefer paper to digital textbooks, you can still print them out! This will not only save you money, but it is also environmentally conscious.

While SGA has made attempts to better allocate our funding, students have little access to the SGA budget. Our administration will make this budget easily available to view on our website. We will also be holding office hours for any concerned students – there is no issue too small.

So why toilet paper? We see the issue as being a larger, systematic problem where students don’t have a say in the university’s decisions. Many have voiced their disillusionment and frustration with SGA not delivering on noticeable changes for students. While toilet paper is not the most important issue facing students, it’s nonetheless something we can all agree on, and it’s a great first step in changing the relationship between students, SGA and the administration. If we can’t deliver on Charmin Ultra Soft, what can we deliver on?

We will not settle for less. We are the Toilet Paper Party.

Please look at our Facebook and Instagram @DePaulForAll to see our full platform and the specifics behind the implementation of all our initiatives.