NCAA announces widespread rules changes in college basketball

The NCAA's changes follow up on the College Basketball Commission's recommendations released in April. Matt Slocum | AP

Just under a year ago, the NCAA received a swift reminder that massive changes were necessary when the FBI arrested 10 men, including four assistant coaches from Oklahoma State, USC, Auburn and Arizona.

Shortly after their arrests, the NCAA announced they had developed a Commission on College Basketball to look into corruption surrounding collegiate athletics and provide recommendations to fix the widespread problem. After the Commission provided their recommendations in April, the NCAA responded Wednesday with changes emphasizing three key areas: Basketball, enforcement and outside voices

“This week, we delivered on a promise made just months ago to make profound and meaningful changes to college basketball,” said the NCAA leaders in a join statement. “Ultimately these decisions will support the success of student-athletes both on and off the court.”

The statement added the NCAA will prioritize the interests of student-athletes over every other factor.

Here is a look at how these changes, effective immediately, will impact college basketball moving forward.

NBA Draft/Agent Adjustments

This change was aimed at providing student-athletes more freedom and flexibility to decide about going pro or returning to school.

Previously players had to declare their intentions 10 days prior to the draft but will now able to participate in the NBA draft with the option of returning to school if they go undrafted as long as they inform their institution before 5 p.m the Monday following the draft. Schools will also be required to pay for tuition, fees and books for basketball players who leave school and return later to the same school to earn their degree, if fewer than 10 years had passed since they left school.

Players will also have the chance to be represented by a certified agent beginning after any basketball season if they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. High school players may also be represented beginning July 1 before their senior year in high school, as long as they have been identified as an elite senior prospect by USA Basketball.

Agents will also be allowed to pay for meals and transportation of players and their families if the expenses are related to the agent selection process. This new rule comes with the stipulation that students cannot miss class and the money must be spent where the student lives or attends school.

Increase in Official Visits

The changes aren’t just limited to the NBA draft process as students athletes will also be afforded 15 official visits, paid for by the school, which can begin as soon as Aug. 1 the summer before their junior year in high school.

Athletes can take five visits between August 1 and the end of their junior year of high school, in addition to five more visits between the end of their junior year and Oct. 15 after their high school graduation.

Athletes can also complete five more between Oct. 15 after their high school graduation and the remainder of their college eligibility.

Schools on the other hand will be able to pay for 28 official visits for recruits (34 for national service academies) over a rolling, two-year period, however, a student-athlete can only visit a school once per year. Unofficial visits may not begin before Aug. 1 of the student’s sophomore year of high school.

Minimizing harmful outside influences

One of the concerns about the current college basketball landscape has been the various AAU tournaments and especially the uncontrolled environment.

Moving forward, basketball-related events will undergo more rigorous certification requirements to ensure transparency in operations and finances. This change will not become effective however until Jan. 24, 2019.

The recruiting calendar will receive a makeover as more restrictions will be placed around events not sponsored by high schools, but the new rules will allow coaches to attend more high school sponsored events. Under the refined rules, coaches will also receive added four-day recruiting periods (Monday through Thursday) in April, but not an increase on the limit on days individual coaches can recruit.

Coaches will also be allowed to attend the NBPA Top 100 Camp in Mid-June, as well as, events during the last two weekends of June provided they are approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations. In July, coaches may also attend one weekend youth basketball event in early July.

Reporting Outside Income

Given the improper relationships that came to light with Adidas and the schools initially involved in the probe, the NCAA will also be keeping a closer eye on the relationship coaches and athletics staff have with outside companies. Coaches must report to the university’s president or chancellor athletics-related income of more than $600 from any source outside their school. This includes endorsement or consultation contracts with apparel companies, manufacturers, television or radio programs, as well as, income from ownership, control or management of a foundation.

The NCAA also announced they plan to seek agreements with apparel companies on expectations for accountability and transparency involving their involvement in youth basketball.

Enforcement

Refining the Enforcement System

With many rules enforcement cases around the sport often dragging out over multiple years, the NCAA is also attempting to make the process more concise in hopes of minimizing legal fees for all involved.

As a term of employment, school presidents and athletics staff must commit contractually to fully cooperate in investigations and the infractions process.

Those charged with investigating NCAA cases can accept information from another administrative body, including a court of law, government agency, accrediting body or a school-authorized commission.

When schools and the NCAA staff agree on the facts of the case, they may work together on a resolution, including any penalties. The agreed-upon penalties must be approved by the NCAA Division 1 Committee on Infractions.

Those who break the rules will not be getting off easy however. University presidents and chancellors will now be held personally accountable for their athletics program following the rules. Stronger penalties could include lengthier postseason bans (up to five years), longer head coach suspensions (could extend beyond one season), longer employment limitations for coaches and staff who violate rules (including the potential for lifetime show-cause orders), increased recruiting restrictions and the loss of all revenue associated with the Division 1 NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship.

Outside Voices

Independent Investigators and Decision-Makers

For complex investigations involve potential conflicts of interests, two independent groups will be appointed to oversee the investigation and resolution of cases that would be characterized as “complex”.

These cases could involve the possibility of major penalties or alleged violations of core NCAA values, such as academics and the well-being of student athletes.

Multiple parties may request that a case be deemed complex including school representatives, NCAA Division 1 committee on infractions members or NCAA enforcement staff.

The first independent group will include both external investigators with no school or conference affiliations and select enforcement staff. The second group, composed of 15 individuals with backgrounds in law, higher education or sports and also not affiliated with schools or conferences will review the findings from the first group, oversee the case hearing and decide on any penalties.

Moving forward at the 2019 Convention, five independent members will be added to the NCAA Board of Governors, which is responsible for oversight of the entire Association. Each member will be nominated by the Board of Governors Executive Committee, approved by the full board and serve a three-year term, which can be renewed once.

The terms of independent board members are longer than those served by school representatives. If the changes to the board composition are made at 2019 NCAA Convention, they will go into effect on Aug. 1 2019.

15 Responses to “NCAA announces widespread rules changes in college basketball”

1. Ellery Adrian on August 10th, 2018 9:31 am

I started seeking for help when I was desperate to see the good in my life because I was blinded by deception, expecting loyalty from a man who can’t be honest with himself. For 2 years’ happiness seems overrated while depression and anxiety took over my life.
    One of the hardest thing I did was not not moving on because I trust my marriage will work again someday.
    During the search to regain my sight and improve my marriage, I came across this email dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com owned by Dr.Wakina love spell master. Immediately after a successful love spell was cast, my life was given a meaning, my husband changed his attitudes and started focusing on me and the family. He became my everything. We became truthful to ourselves.
    I appreciate the time and effort he (Dr. Wakina) put into giving our lives a meaning.

2. MICHAEL ZOTOO on August 14th, 2018 2:50 am

I NEED A SPELL CASTER TO GET MY EX LOVER BACK WHATSAPP +1(424)-261-8520

I read some testimonies about a love spell caster by DR LARRY on how he has helped lots of people in bringing back their ex lovers within 48hours, Sincerely I was just thinking if that was real and if this man could really help bring back my lover whom I love so much. I decided to contact him because I love my wife so much and we have been apart for a couple of months I really missed her so much, I have tried all other means to get her back but couldn’t. I contacted DR LARRY and he told me that my ex will come back to me in the next 48 hours, DR LARRY released her up to know how much i loved and wanted her And opened her eyes to picture how much we have share together. My ex is now back to me again as I`m the most happiest man on earth. All thanks goes to DR LARRY for the excessive work that he has done for me for helping me get my ex back . here is his email assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com whatsapp him on +1(424)-261-8520. and contact him if you have a lover that you really want back so badly,

3. Sarah Jack on August 11th, 2018 10:20 pm

DO NOT SUFFER YOUR SELF FROM ANY BREAK DOWN,CURSE, SICKNESS OR ANY KIND OF SPIRITUAL SET BACK. COME TO Dr joy FOR YOUR HELP. Authority is king! The spell that i provide is the ultimate fast results, The best spell casters/ Herbal Doctors are not easy to pick out! Many hearts are broken every day and many people suffer in vain. Don’t be one of them. Let me help you with your case. My powerful spells can STOP A DIVORCE and much much more! and I am considered one of the most powerful spell casters with White Voodoo. I can help you. I have a big range of powerful spells to use for your needs. What outcome do you want? You might wonder how the spells will affect you? Will the spell be helpful? YES! The spells I cast for you will not have any unwanted side effects such as bad Karma. As long as the intentions are pure out of love as I am sure they are, right?. Magic is actually an energy from mother earth that can be controlled. Specializing in the fields of Love, Money, Power, Success, Pregnancy, Sickness, Luck and Witch Craft. I can help you with any problem or wish that you might have. Email me at: joylovespell@gmail.com , you can also call me or add me on Whats-app: +2348100452479.

4. MICHAEL ZOTOO on August 14th, 2018 2:51 am

5. Burkett Sherry Lynn on August 15th, 2018 3:25 pm

Hello, I am Burkett Sherry Lynn from USA, i want to shear my testimony on how i got a good spell caster that help me bring back my husband. Dr, OGU JAZAZA, After being in relationship with my husband for years, he broke up with me. I did everything within my reach to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so badly because of the love I had for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back , I had no choice than to try it. I messaged the spell caster Dr, OGU JAZAZA, and he assured me and said that there is no problem that everything will be okay before three days. He cast the spell and surprisingly on the second day, my husband called me. I was so surprised and shock, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that had happened He wanted me to return to him. He also said he loved me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how we started living together happily again and i also thank Dr, OGU JAZAZA, so very much for what he has done for me. If anyone should need help, you can contact Dr, OGU JAZAZA, The spell casters on email address is: (drogujazazasolution@gmail.com). or Whats-app him today (+12098373537). You can email him or Whats-app if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other Case. Dr, OGU JAZAZA, could help you with the following:

If you want to fix you broken marriage or relationship.
    (1) If you want to find true love.
    (2) If you want to rekindle a relationship with your ex.
    (3) If you want to stop infidelity in your relationship/marriage.
    (4) If you desire to be bind in love with your partner forever.
    (5) If you want to never separate from your lover.
    (6) He also have spell to bring back your ex HIv/Aids, parkinson disease.
    Contact him any time any day if you have any problem he will help you solved them immediately. his email address is: (drogujazazasolution@gmail.com). or Whats-app him today (+12098373537). thanks again my good and lovely Dr, OGU JAZAZA, god bless you more.

6. Raphael on August 17th, 2018 7:49 am

Not much to say concerning Dr. Wakina, we all know Dr. Wakina love spell is capable of resurrecting a dead-end relationship. This is just a simply thank you for bringing back my ex-wife after three years and four months of ongoing feud. His mysterious spell worked as testified by people he has helped, he saved my married just as promised. I will conclude by saying with Dr. spell you don’t need to fight anymore or go through pains just to save your marriage. His contact email is (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com)

7. Sarah Jack on August 26th, 2018 11:55 pm

How to get your ex lover back & save your marriage fast “I suggest you read this.”?
    I got a divorce from my husband when I was six months pregnant with my second child. We had been arguing and quarreling nonstop since the day our first child was conceived, no love nor trust from him anymore so he divorced me. And all these whiles, I have been trying all different means to get him back, I also tried some different spell casters here in the United States, but none of them could bring Richard back to me. It was only Dr.joy who guaranteed me an urgent 28 hours spell casting, and he assure me that my husband will be with me again. I am writing to offer my thanks and deep gratitude to you for keeping your promises, and for using your gifted and great powers to bring him back home. I was thrilled to know that you are specialized in reuniting Lovers. Thank you Sir, for helping me through the worst times of my life, for being such a great spell caster, and for giving me a love spell that has brought me so much joy in my marriage. My husband is back and promise never to leave me again. If you doubt his ability, trust me. You should take a chance. It pays off in ways you could never even imagine. If you are thier right now and you need a powerful and urgent love spell to bring back your ex kindly contact Dr. joy right now he is the only answer to restore your broken relationship or marriage. Here’s his contact: Email him at: joylovespell@gmail.com ,Call/WhatsApp: : +2348100452479

8. Darryl Duncan on August 27th, 2018 1:59 pm

Hello everyone, I must start by saying that I didn’t go into marriage with expectation that it will fail after 8 years. I and my spouse where not compassionate to ourselves. Trying to work out my marriage was self-defeating, we don’t really know why we no longer find ourselves attractive anymore. All we secretly thought was divorce, we couldn’t agree or communicate anymore, it was emotionally difficult moments when we face each other in the bedroom.
    I know that a phycologist might not be able to help me go through divorce because it has never worked for me. Divorcing could traumatize our kids, I can’t let them be emotionally crippled.
    I remember my grandmother once told me that not issues can be resolved physically, I should try solving some issues spiritually through a well-known spiritual doctor.
    I can provide evidence that my life and marriage got more better and interesting with so much love and fulfilled promises after Dr. Wakina lighted up our fire with a magnificent love spell with the aid of dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com.
    The spell work I never regarded rewrote my story. I’m touched beyond words, thanks Dr. Wakina.

9. Erin Luke on August 30th, 2018 2:00 pm

My Dear friends on line, My name is Erin Luke And i live in USA, Ohio, I have to give this miraculous testimony, which is so unbelievable until now. I had a problem with my Ex husband 2 years ago, which lead to our break up. I was not myself again, i felt so empty inside me, my love and financial situation became worst, until a close friend of mine told me about a spell caster who helped her in the same problem too his name is DR PATRICK. I email the spell caster and i told him my problem and i did what he asked of me, to cut the long story short. Before i knew what was happen, less than two days my husband gave me a call and told me that he was coming back to me i was so happy to have him back to me. The most interesting part of the story is that am pregnant. Thanks to DR PATRICK for saving my marriage and for also saving others own too. Continue your good work, If you are interested to contact the great spell caster email address: drpatrickspellcaster@gmail.com or contact him on whatsapp +1 (662 493 2087)

10. lousa heyden on August 31st, 2018 12:03 pm

i am Louisa Heyden from new York. i want to use this medium to congratulate Dr Isikolo for the great help of spell he has render to my relationship outbreak. since the past 4 months i was in a relationship problem with my ex, he always get me beating, i never knew he has another girl outside the town, her name is merable, until i got this great spell caster email address from the internet, so i email him and i laid all my complain to him, he promise me that i am going to get my ex back. and i really agreed on it, but on a condition that i will testify abut him once my ex is back which i did his great oracle, his plan for my relationship was fulfill and my lost ex was back again within 48hrs… please if you are in such mess today please contact him at his Email: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com. call or Whatsapp him on +2348133261196

11. Remy Heredia on September 2nd, 2018 2:46 pm

I want the world to know a great man that is well known as Dr Isikolo, he has the perfect solution to relationship issues and marriage problems. The main reason why i went to Dr Isikolo. was for solution on how i can get my husband back because in recent times i have read some testimonies on the internet which some people has written about Dr Isikolo, and i was so pleased and i decided to seek for assistance from him on his Email (isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com) which he did a perfect job by casting a spell on my husband which made him to come back to me and beg for forgiveness. I will no stop publishing his name on the net because of the good work he is doing. I will drop his contact for the usefulness of those that needs his help. His Email is Email: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com. call or Whatsapp him on +2348133261196 You can contact him today and get your problem solved

12. MECKIL HETTE on September 3rd, 2018 1:34 am

I was searching for advise on what to do to get back my EX Husband, My story is about a woman who used to work with my husband in the same office, they were having secrete affair and i caught them, for that reason my we had to split, but i still love him but it seems he was deeply in lover with the other lady and he left me useless, after few weeks of searching for help, I came across Dr.Alli who can help me, i contacted Dr.Alli for help due to the fact that i needed my EX lover desperately because he is my everything and my life. To God be the glory, my EX husband came back to me within 24 hours and he swore never to cheat on me again and promised to love me forever, Viewers reading my article that also need his help should contact him with his email : (allispellhelp1@gmail.com ) call or Whatsapp +2348100772528 he will solve your relationship problem……..

13. Olivia Stephen form Tx,USA on September 9th, 2018 11:36 pm

POWERFUL SPELL CASTER DR UNITY CALL/WHATSAPP +2348071622464.. My name is Wendy Owen am from united state, I almost took my life because of my husband who left me and stop picking my calls answering my mails and my messages. He said He do not trust me anymore, I tried to convince and beg him, but he will not believe or answer me until we had a fight and broke up for 6months, after then I realize I can not live without him because of the love I have for him. I tried everything possible to get him back, but non worked for me, some fake spell casters scammed me and went away with my money until I came across this man called Dr Unity he helped me cast a spell for me and behold my husband came back after 28 hours, begging me for forgiveness, I was so surprised that spell caster like Dr Unity still exist. If anyone here needs some help, with all sincerity, contact Dr Unity today On Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,you can also call him or add him on whats-app: +2348071622464..

14. Kaitlyn on September 15th, 2018 1:44 pm

Hello everyone i am happy to spread my testimony of a strong spell caster called Dr Great. I’m Kaitlyn Houston and i live in USA, my husband and i had a little fight because of that he wanted to divorce me i was so afraid to lose him because i love him very much so i search online for help and i saw alot of people’s testimonies on how Dr Great help them and came out with positive results like Divorces, Cancers, lotteries, fertilities and others. So i emailed him and told him my problem and he told me what to do and I did it as he instructed, 24 hours later he told me he is done with the spell and my husband will no longer divorce me and when my husband came back from work he told me he won’t divorce me anymore he said he didn’t know what came over him that he is sorry I was so happy and I thank Dr Great for his help If you need Dr Great help email him at infinitylovespell@gmail.com or you can also add him on WhatsApp +2348118829899 and he will put an end to your problem

15. Nicole Travolta on September 21st, 2018 5:55 am

Hey everyone…
    I’m so excited. My ex-boyfriend is back after few months of breakup, I’m extremely happy that will are living together again. My boyfriend of 4yr just broke up with me and am 30 weeks pregnant. I have cried myself to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again. Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes, my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time. Generally he is a very nice guy, he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along. He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot .After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change. I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with. I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe. He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy, he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy.
    I was really upset and I needed help, so I searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Ahmed can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and I did it then he did a spell for me. 17 hours later, my bf came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my bf are living together happily again…
    All thanks to Dr Ahmed if you have any marital, relationship or divorces problem contact Dr Ahmed now and I guarantee you that he will help you.
    Here’s his contact.
    Call/what’s-app: +2348160153829
    Email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com

• NCAA announces widespread rules changes in college basketball

Lenti Ponsetto, Leitao, DePaul file order of protection against former assistant coach who challenges claims

New testimony in NCAA trial hits another DePaul men’s basketball coach

• Basketball

Lopez joins crowded DePaul backcourt

DePaul lands top 100 recruit

• Basketball

NCAA trial hits assistant men’s basketball coach

King of the Court

DePaul assistant Shane Heirman named in NCAA corruption trial

Blue Demons nab three star, class of 2019 recruit

Third time around, grad transfer lands at DePaul

Cameron returns with new sense of confidence