NCAA announces widespread rules changes in college basketball

The NCAA's changes follow up on the College Basketball Commission's recommendations released in April. Matt Slocum | AP

Just under a year ago, the NCAA received a swift reminder that massive changes were necessary when the FBI arrested 10 men, including four assistant coaches from Oklahoma State, USC, Auburn and Arizona.

Shortly after their arrests, the NCAA announced they had developed a Commission on College Basketball to look into corruption surrounding collegiate athletics and provide recommendations to fix the widespread problem. After the Commission provided their recommendations in April, the NCAA responded Wednesday with changes emphasizing three key areas: Basketball, enforcement and outside voices

“This week, we delivered on a promise made just months ago to make profound and meaningful changes to college basketball,” said the NCAA leaders in a join statement. “Ultimately these decisions will support the success of student-athletes both on and off the court.”

The statement added the NCAA will prioritize the interests of student-athletes over every other factor.

Here is a look at how these changes, effective immediately, will impact college basketball moving forward.

NBA Draft/Agent Adjustments

This change was aimed at providing student-athletes more freedom and flexibility to decide about going pro or returning to school.

Previously players had to declare their intentions 10 days prior to the draft but will now able to participate in the NBA draft with the option of returning to school if they go undrafted as long as they inform their institution before 5 p.m the Monday following the draft. Schools will also be required to pay for tuition, fees and books for basketball players who leave school and return later to the same school to earn their degree, if fewer than 10 years had passed since they left school.

Players will also have the chance to be represented by a certified agent beginning after any basketball season if they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. High school players may also be represented beginning July 1 before their senior year in high school, as long as they have been identified as an elite senior prospect by USA Basketball.

Agents will also be allowed to pay for meals and transportation of players and their families if the expenses are related to the agent selection process. This new rule comes with the stipulation that students cannot miss class and the money must be spent where the student lives or attends school.

Increase in Official Visits

The changes aren’t just limited to the NBA draft process as students athletes will also be afforded 15 official visits, paid for by the school, which can begin as soon as Aug. 1 the summer before their junior year in high school.

Athletes can take five visits between August 1 and the end of their junior year of high school, in addition to five more visits between the end of their junior year and Oct. 15 after their high school graduation.

Athletes can also complete five more between Oct. 15 after their high school graduation and the remainder of their college eligibility.

Schools on the other hand will be able to pay for 28 official visits for recruits (34 for national service academies) over a rolling, two-year period, however, a student-athlete can only visit a school once per year. Unofficial visits may not begin before Aug. 1 of the student’s sophomore year of high school.

Minimizing harmful outside influences

One of the concerns about the current college basketball landscape has been the various AAU tournaments and especially the uncontrolled environment.

Moving forward, basketball-related events will undergo more rigorous certification requirements to ensure transparency in operations and finances. This change will not become effective however until Jan. 24, 2019.

The recruiting calendar will receive a makeover as more restrictions will be placed around events not sponsored by high schools, but the new rules will allow coaches to attend more high school sponsored events. Under the refined rules, coaches will also receive added four-day recruiting periods (Monday through Thursday) in April, but not an increase on the limit on days individual coaches can recruit.

Coaches will also be allowed to attend the NBPA Top 100 Camp in Mid-June, as well as, events during the last two weekends of June provided they are approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations. In July, coaches may also attend one weekend youth basketball event in early July.

Reporting Outside Income

Given the improper relationships that came to light with Adidas and the schools initially involved in the probe, the NCAA will also be keeping a closer eye on the relationship coaches and athletics staff have with outside companies. Coaches must report to the university’s president or chancellor athletics-related income of more than $600 from any source outside their school. This includes endorsement or consultation contracts with apparel companies, manufacturers, television or radio programs, as well as, income from ownership, control or management of a foundation.

The NCAA also announced they plan to seek agreements with apparel companies on expectations for accountability and transparency involving their involvement in youth basketball.

Enforcement

Refining the Enforcement System

With many rules enforcement cases around the sport often dragging out over multiple years, the NCAA is also attempting to make the process more concise in hopes of minimizing legal fees for all involved.

As a term of employment, school presidents and athletics staff must commit contractually to fully cooperate in investigations and the infractions process.

Those charged with investigating NCAA cases can accept information from another administrative body, including a court of law, government agency, accrediting body or a school-authorized commission.

When schools and the NCAA staff agree on the facts of the case, they may work together on a resolution, including any penalties. The agreed-upon penalties must be approved by the NCAA Division 1 Committee on Infractions.

Those who break the rules will not be getting off easy however. University presidents and chancellors will now be held personally accountable for their athletics program following the rules. Stronger penalties could include lengthier postseason bans (up to five years), longer head coach suspensions (could extend beyond one season), longer employment limitations for coaches and staff who violate rules (including the potential for lifetime show-cause orders), increased recruiting restrictions and the loss of all revenue associated with the Division 1 NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship.

Outside Voices

Independent Investigators and Decision-Makers

For complex investigations involve potential conflicts of interests, two independent groups will be appointed to oversee the investigation and resolution of cases that would be characterized as “complex”.

These cases could involve the possibility of major penalties or alleged violations of core NCAA values, such as academics and the well-being of student athletes.

Multiple parties may request that a case be deemed complex including school representatives, NCAA Division 1 committee on infractions members or NCAA enforcement staff.

The first independent group will include both external investigators with no school or conference affiliations and select enforcement staff. The second group, composed of 15 individuals with backgrounds in law, higher education or sports and also not affiliated with schools or conferences will review the findings from the first group, oversee the case hearing and decide on any penalties.

Moving forward at the 2019 Convention, five independent members will be added to the NCAA Board of Governors, which is responsible for oversight of the entire Association. Each member will be nominated by the Board of Governors Executive Committee, approved by the full board and serve a three-year term, which can be renewed once.

The terms of independent board members are longer than those served by school representatives. If the changes to the board composition are made at 2019 NCAA Convention, they will go into effect on Aug. 1 2019.

6 Responses to “NCAA announces widespread rules changes in college basketball”

1. Ellery Adrian on August 10th, 2018 9:31 am

I started seeking for help when I was desperate to see the good in my life because I was blinded by deception, expecting loyalty from a man who can’t be honest with himself. For 2 years’ happiness seems overrated while depression and anxiety took over my life.
    One of the hardest thing I did was not not moving on because I trust my marriage will work again someday.
    During the search to regain my sight and improve my marriage, I came across this email dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com owned by Dr.Wakina love spell master. Immediately after a successful love spell was cast, my life was given a meaning, my husband changed his attitudes and started focusing on me and the family. He became my everything. We became truthful to ourselves.
    I appreciate the time and effort he (Dr. Wakina) put into giving our lives a meaning.

MICHAEL ZOTOO Reply:

I NEED A SPELL CASTER TO GET MY EX LOVER BACK WHATSAPP +1(424)-261-8520

I read some testimonies about a love spell caster by DR LARRY on how he has helped lots of people in bringing back their ex lovers within 48hours, Sincerely I was just thinking if that was real and if this man could really help bring back my lover whom I love so much. I decided to contact him because I love my wife so much and we have been apart for a couple of months I really missed her so much, I have tried all other means to get her back but couldn’t. I contacted DR LARRY and he told me that my ex will come back to me in the next 48 hours, DR LARRY released her up to know how much i loved and wanted her And opened her eyes to picture how much we have share together. My ex is now back to me again as I`m the most happiest man on earth. All thanks goes to DR LARRY for the excessive work that he has done for me for helping me get my ex back . here is his email assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com whatsapp him on +1(424)-261-8520. and contact him if you have a lover that you really want back so badly,

2. Sarah Jack on August 11th, 2018 10:20 pm

DO NOT SUFFER YOUR SELF FROM ANY BREAK DOWN,CURSE, SICKNESS OR ANY KIND OF SPIRITUAL SET BACK. COME TO Dr joy FOR YOUR HELP. Authority is king! The spell that i provide is the ultimate fast results, The best spell casters/ Herbal Doctors are not easy to pick out! Many hearts are broken every day and many people suffer in vain. Don’t be one of them. Let me help you with your case. My powerful spells can STOP A DIVORCE and much much more! and I am considered one of the most powerful spell casters with White Voodoo. I can help you. I have a big range of powerful spells to use for your needs. What outcome do you want? You might wonder how the spells will affect you? Will the spell be helpful? YES! The spells I cast for you will not have any unwanted side effects such as bad Karma. As long as the intentions are pure out of love as I am sure they are, right?. Magic is actually an energy from mother earth that can be controlled. Specializing in the fields of Love, Money, Power, Success, Pregnancy, Sickness, Luck and Witch Craft. I can help you with any problem or wish that you might have. Email me at: joylovespell@gmail.com , you can also call me or add me on Whats-app: +2348100452479.

3. MICHAEL ZOTOO on August 14th, 2018 2:51 am

4. Burkett Sherry Lynn on August 15th, 2018 3:25 pm

Hello, I am Burkett Sherry Lynn from USA, i want to shear my testimony on how i got a good spell caster that help me bring back my husband. Dr, OGU JAZAZA, After being in relationship with my husband for years, he broke up with me. I did everything within my reach to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so badly because of the love I had for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back , I had no choice than to try it. I messaged the spell caster Dr, OGU JAZAZA, and he assured me and said that there is no problem that everything will be okay before three days. He cast the spell and surprisingly on the second day, my husband called me. I was so surprised and shock, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that had happened He wanted me to return to him. He also said he loved me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how we started living together happily again and i also thank Dr, OGU JAZAZA, so very much for what he has done for me. If anyone should need help, you can contact Dr, OGU JAZAZA, The spell casters on email address is: (drogujazazasolution@gmail.com). or Whats-app him today (+12098373537). You can email him or Whats-app if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other Case. Dr, OGU JAZAZA, could help you with the following:

If you want to fix you broken marriage or relationship.
    (1) If you want to find true love.
    (2) If you want to rekindle a relationship with your ex.
    (3) If you want to stop infidelity in your relationship/marriage.
    (4) If you desire to be bind in love with your partner forever.
    (5) If you want to never separate from your lover.
    (6) He also have spell to bring back your ex HIv/Aids, parkinson disease.
    Contact him any time any day if you have any problem he will help you solved them immediately. his email address is: (drogujazazasolution@gmail.com). or Whats-app him today (+12098373537). thanks again my good and lovely Dr, OGU JAZAZA, god bless you more.

5. Raphael on August 17th, 2018 7:49 am

Not much to say concerning Dr. Wakina, we all know Dr. Wakina love spell is capable of resurrecting a dead-end relationship. This is just a simply thank you for bringing back my ex-wife after three years and four months of ongoing feud. His mysterious spell worked as testified by people he has helped, he saved my married just as promised. I will conclude by saying with Dr. spell you don’t need to fight anymore or go through pains just to save your marriage. His contact email is (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com)

• NCAA announces widespread rules changes in college basketball

Too good to be true: Shannon Jr. reopens committment

The book of Eli: “I just want to win”

From pariah to hot commodity, Shannon’s recruiting story has happy ending after slow start

Blue Demons strike gold again on recruiting front

Pitino, DePaul comment on text message suggesting payment to recruit

Maric’s basketball journey will continue in Belgium

Text found in court records claims DePaul offered $200,000 to five-star recruit

Former DePaul video coordinator accepts assistant coaching job at CCSU

McCallum’s agent hopes his scoring spices up in Switzerland

Henry selected to try out for Team USA World Cup qualifying team