Late run helps DePaul edge Providence and snap three-game losing streak

Senior guard Max Strus celebrates a 3-point play late in the game that helped DePaul seal the win Saturday at Wintrust Arena.Richard Bodee | The DePaulia

Playing Providence  (13-9; 3-6 Big East) for the second time in seven days, DePaul (12-9; 4-6 Big East) avenged its earlier loss to the Friars, snapping in a three-game losing streak, as well, with a 67-55 victory Saturday afternoon at Wintrust Arena.

In the first matchup between the two teams DePaul led just one time but Saturday was a different story as they led for over 30 minutes but still had to fend off a tough Providence team that didn’t go away quietly in the second half.

The Blue Demons finally put it away for good with back-to-back 3-point plays from senior forward Femi Olujobi followed shortly thereafter by sophomore forward Paul Reed, who finished with 18 points and 15 rebounds, to help DePaul open a 10-point lead with 1:24 to play and provided the jolt of energy both on the court and in the stands DePaul needed to hold on for a much-needed win.

“When that kind of thing happens it energizes [everyone] just like a 3-pointer from the perimeter,” head coach Dave Leitao said. “But and-ones are really energizing to our crowd and the team and allows us to play more spirited defense so I thought for both of those guys it was really important.”

The Blue Demons defense was the story in the final couple of minutes as they held Providence without a field goal over the final three minutes and 15 seconds of the game as the Friars missed its last nine field goals.

After Providence leading scorer Alpha Diallo knocked down a 3-pointer with 7:54 remaining in the first half to give Providence a 20-18 lead, the Blue Demons clamped down defensively with a 15-3 run to close out the half while holding Providence without a field goal during that span. Providence head coach Ed Cooley said it wasn’t as much anything special DePaul was doing but was disappointed his team missed open shots both late in the first half and late in the game.

“I think it’s a fair question but my guys are still open, they’re wide open shots,” Cooley said. “You got to make them, you got to make them, it was a rock fight out there I think they may have ended the game on a 14-2 run or something like that, of which many of them came from the foul line and then they got a couple of and-ones to open the game up but I thought it was both a heavily defended game, both teams are defensive oriented and they made a couple more shots than we did.”

That double digit lead was short lived; however, as Providence opened the half on an 12-4  run to cut the DePaul lead to two.

Senior guard Max Strus smiles after a foul call went his way while Providence coach Ed Cooley reacts differently. Richard Bodee | The DePaulia

Despite the run, the Blue Demons continued to hang on to a narrow lead as both teams searched for answers offensively. Senior guard Max Strus finally gave the Blue Demons some life with a 3-pointer from the corner as DePaul opened up a 6-point lead; however, Providence quickly responded with an 8-2 run to tie the game for the first time in the second half and take it a short time later with a layup from David Duke.

That was the last field goal Providence would make; however, as DePaul came right back with a 6-0 run of their own to regain a 57-53 lead with just over three minutes remaining. In danger of letting another second half lead slip away, Strus pointed to a team talk earlier this week in which the team addressed some of their second half struggled.

“We just said you know what this is it, it’s go time,” Strus said. “I mean we don’t really have time to waste anymore we got six conference losses, it’s time to turn it around and we’ve lost too many games in the second half where we blow our lead or teams extend theirs so we made a commitment to defend and rebound like we did and that kept us in it at the end of the day and our team we all bought in on what we want to do and that helps at the end of the day.”

Butz echoed that sentiment saying one of the messages all year has been staying together, which was something he said allowed them to get over the hump in a game in which neither team was able to establish much of a rhythm.

“We [are] trying to preach it every day,” Butz said. “It’s kind of a hard thing to do winning any game, it’s tough down the stretch guys can go all kind of ways but just trying to stay together and keep each other motivated so I feel like that brought it home for us.”

DePaul will now be able to enjoy a week off before heading back on the road to face Xavier next Saturday night.

8 Responses to “Late run helps DePaul edge Providence and snap three-game losing streak”

1. jeffers thompson on February 2nd, 2019 8:55 pm

URGENT AND EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL CASTER TO HELP YOU GET BACK YOUR EX LOVER VERY FAST WHATSAPP +2348124644470

My Name is Jeffers Thompson from USA, I want to say thank you to PRIEST WISDOM for the good thing he has done for me,Though am not sure if this is the best forum to show my joy and happiness for what he has done for me but i cant hide ahappiness and my Joy so i have to share it with people, my marriage got crashed about two years ago and i tried all i could within my power but to no avail. i saw post and testimonial about the good things PRIEST WISDOM has been doing so i decided to give it a try. though he is always a busy man but when he responded back to my email, he gave me 48hours for my marriage to be restored really just like he said my marriage was restored since then I am happy and i am living happily i am so grateful, PRIEST WISDOM you can always email him here: Supernaturalspell1@gmail. com or WHATSAPP / cell phone +2348124644470

2. ann earnis on February 7th, 2019 7:40 pm

HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF PRIEST WISDOM CONTACT ON WHATSAPP NUMBER +2348124644470

This is my testimony about the good work of priest wisdom who help me…. I’m ann Earnis from norht carolina USA. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to, by this world best spell caster that brought back my husband who left me out for past 3 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 2 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told me have come to pass and thank you sir. Please i want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to their problem, i advice you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tell is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is supernaturalspell1@gmail. com or directly on whasapp +2348124644470

3. ann earnis on February 7th, 2019 7:40 pm

This is my testimony about the good work of priest wisdom who help me…. I’m ann Earnis from norht carolina USA. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to, by this world best spell caster that brought back my husband who left me out for past 3 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 2 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told me have come to pass and thank you sir. Please i want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to their problem, i advice you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tell is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is supernaturalspell1@gmail. com or directly on whasapp +2348124644470 …………………

4. Chryssy Berry from USA on February 11th, 2019 8:05 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

5. mary care on February 16th, 2019 8:19 pm

I am one of those people who said, “I’ll never call a psychic or a magician or whatever” to help me with my problems – least of all my love problems, but I reached the point where I knew I needed some guidance, and I’m so glad I found this man called dr.ajeghe. When I nearly lost David in one of our stupid,fights (he broke up with me), I thought I had lost everything.i cry all day and think that he will never come back to me again.i read so many testimony about Dr. ajeghe love spell,how he help to bring back ex lover back.I quickly email him.and also get back my husband with his love spell. And when I was at my most desperate,he didn’t take advantage of me. You performed a very good service for a person in true need. I don’t know how you did it, or how this magic works, but all I know is, IT WORKS!! David my husband and I are happily back together, and I’ll always be grateful to dr.ajeghe email him for any kinds of help is very capable and reliable for help ajeghespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2349069171173

6. Lauren on February 18th, 2019 6:23 am

Hello my name is Lauren i’m from USA i want to testify of a great and powerful spell caster my husband left me and the kids for 2 weeks when i called him he didn’t pick up when he came back home the 3rd week he told me he wanted a divorce i was so sad i cried all night he left again i was so lonely the next day i was searching for something online when i found a spell caster called Priest Ade who have helped so many people with their problems so i contacted him with my problems he told me it will take 24hrs and my husband will be back to me i did every thing he told me to do and the next day my husband came back kneeling and begging he canceled the divorce we are now happy together Priest Ade can help you too Email him at

ancientspiritspellcast@yahoo. com or ancientspiritspellcast@gmail. com

WhatsApp +2347059715465 . .

7. Lisa Joy on February 20th, 2019 2:44 am

PERFECT LOVE SPELL THAT WORK FAST WITHIN 24 HOURS WITH DR SAM

OMG!!! I am so proud and happy to be out here sharing your work Dr. Sam. I just can’t believe this now my ex Husband is really back to me on his knees presenting a ruby rose to beg me to take him back and he was feeling regretful and sorry for leaving me and for causing me pains after the divorce which occurred last year. And this whole miracle happened after I ordered an urgent 24 hours Dr. Sam powerful spell which he cast on me and my husband. Sir, I am the happiest woman today in this whole wide world. Dr. Sam, you really did it..Yes.. Its a miracle and everlasting pleasure and cheerfulness for me and my family today.. I am so happy now and i don’t know how much to convey my thankfulness and appreciation to you sir. And to the whole world, contact him if you need urgent help now because it’s guaranteed that he will help you. Email him (supremespellcast@gmail.com) His blog> https://supremespellcast.blogspot.com Add him up (WhatsApp him +2347087462033)

8. Wendy Burns on February 21st, 2019 9:55 am

My husband left me for a younger woman and I was devastated. It was as if she had him under an evil spell, Paul turned against me overnight without any warning. It happened last year, I was desperate so I used every single spell casting website that I could find with no results. A friend sent me the link to Dr. Todd’s site and I contacted him. He started working with me on June. As a result from all of his wonderful work, my man and I are back together. I’m so happy and privileged to have such a great person like you on my side. Thank you! Todd’s contact manifestspellcast@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +27613087679

• Late run helps DePaul edge Providence and snap three-game losing streak

Creighton Bluejays stymie Blue Demon frontcourt; beat DePaul at Wintrust

Bluejays; Blue Demons: Can DePaul cool off one of nation’s best 3-point shooting teams?

DePaul still has long road to reach desired destination

Hard work pays off in year two for Paul Reed

DePaul’s struggles against Butler continue with 91-78 loss

“We ran into a buzzsaw:” Golden Eagles sever DePaul at Wintrust

DePaul seeks biggest win of the season against Marquette

Sullivan Menard commits to DePaul as preferred walk-on

DePaul uses late run to snap streak against Xavier

Revenge-minded Blue Demons welcome Providence to Wintrust