Award-winning sociologist Patricia Hill Collins hosts social activism lecture ‘Charting a New Course’

Patricia Hill Collins at DePaul Monday, Oct. 13. (Dylan Fahoome / The DePaulia)

Award-winning sociologist and author Patricia Hill Collins lectured to 182 DePaul students and Chicago residents Monday, Oct. 13. The Center for Intercultural Programs hosted the event.

“We have our own power and responsibility, and we are inviting students to have a place in the conversation,” Stefanie Smith, program coordinator for Center for Intercultural Programs, said.

Collins’ presentation engaged the audience in critical thinking about sociological thought, and what it means to strengthen one’s power through ideas.

“It is possible to be passionate about scholarship and ideas without being boring,” Collins said. “I was presenting ideas that were pretty complex, and everyone seemed right there with me. And they were very passionate.”

The lecture, titled  “Charting A New Course: Intersectionality and Black Activism,” discussed social activism and the use of intersectionality as a tool for rising above oppression.

“As we look at the world we realize that … the country is stronger when you take from the strengths of everyone,” Collins said.

More than 180 people went to see award-winning professor Patricia Hill Collins (right) speak on black activism Monday, Oct. 13. (Dylan Fahoome / The DePaulia)

The three-part lecture questioned stereotypes of activism, while also more solidly defining intersectionality and challenging listeners to form their own coalitions.

“You don’t know what your agenda is until you combine with others like you,” Hill Collins said.

First-year graduate student Kristia Lansdown said this aspect of the speech resonated with her.

“(It) reminds me that there are so many people involved with these issues,” she said.

Kaira Castill, a freshman communications and women’s studies major said, “ I think it’s really important (to have events like this). You really need to come to these (kinds of events) to learn.”

According to Director Sara Furr, events like this are important for the DePaul community.

“Who we are matters in the way we engage,” Furr said. “(Collins) also (has) been able to participate in the conversation with who she is being, African-American and being a woman.”

Samantha Grand, first-year law student, said she was affected by Collins’ work.

“To see it come to life was cool,” Grand said. “It’s important for people to wake up from a’ la-de-da’ attitude.”

Collins challenged the audience to write their own stories, challenge their own oppression and rise to participate in their own activism.

“There are risks, but the rewards are substantial,” Collins said.