Boots made for Chicago winters

It’s that time of year again – when Chicago’s streets are slushy and slippery, the CTA runs a little bit slower and the Windy City certainly lives up to its name with frigid wind chills. This winter has been especially frosty, with temperatures and wind chills far below zero, cancellations of classes, school closings and transportation delays throughout the city.

Unfortunately, DePaul cannot suddenly move its campuses, staff, and students to a warmer state, so proper winter attire is absolutely necessary in order to survive Chicago’s winter season.

Finding a coat that is both practical and stylish is usually pretty easy, and everyone loves some fun leather or knit gloves with a cozy knit hat and a warm infinity scarf to snuggle up in. Boots, on the other hand, can be more difficult.

Either they’re too bulky, not warm enough, uncomfortable or just plain boring. However, there is no need to despair this winter, fellow Chicagoans; compiled here is a list of the best boots available. They are waterproof, warm and with enough design variety that there is something for everyone.

So be warned, Polar Vortex, blizzard conditions and arctic blasts, DePaul students are ready for anything with these boots.

1. Thermoball Micro-Baffle Bootie, The North Face, $90

These boots are perfect for cold and wet weather, especially for the price. They are slip-on, for those quick dashes out the door when winter hibernation gets the best of you. They also have The North Face’s ThermoBallTM method that provides warmth comparable to 600-fill down, with great insulation and traction for these slushy days of January and February.

2. Jozie Purna, The North Face, $140

The Jozie Purna, also by The North Face, has the perfect amount of both style and winter weather necessity. The little details of this style, such as the mix between suede and waterproof, insulated materials, the faux fur at the top and the simple lace-up add a funky touch to an otherwise very practical and plain boot – not to mention the excellent traction these boots offer for the icy sidewalks throughout winter.

3. Waterproof Fold-Down Boot, Timberland Authentics, $140

Although generally not associated with proper winter boots for Chicago’s heavy-duty winters, Timberland has much to offer with this waterproof bootie. The Fold-Down boot has both waterproof leather and suede, with traction suitable for any weather condition. The fleece lining also makes for warm toes. Meanwhile, this boot stays true to the classic style of Timberland boots.

4. Julette, UGG, $300

Although more expensive, the Julette is a modern and comfortable boot. It uses waterproof leather and UGG’s very own ThinsulateTM lining to keep feet warm in any temperature. The sheepskin detail adds a luxurious touch to the boot, and excellent rubber soles make them an exceptional choice for this harsh winter. Winter Quarter has only just begun, and knowing Chicago’s winters there will be plenty of opportunities to whip out some trendy but practical shoes. With these boots, a polar vortex doesn’t seem so bad, after all.