DePaul basketball legend Mark Aguirre returns as special assistant to Peevy

Sophomore+standout+Mark+Aguirre%2C+left%2C+and+DePaul+coach+Ray+Meyer+are+seen+during+practice+in+Chicago%2C+Jan.+14%2C+1980.+DePaul+was+rated+No.+One+in+the+Associated+Press+college+basketball+poll+Monday.+
Fred Jewell via AP
Sophomore standout Mark Aguirre, left, and DePaul coach Ray Meyer are seen during practice in Chicago, Jan. 14, 1980. DePaul was rated No. One in the Associated Press college basketball poll Monday.

DePaul Vice President and Director of Athletics DeWayne Peevy made an official announcement Wednesday, appointing former Blue Demon and NBA star Mark Aguirre as special assistant to the athletic director. 

“It’s such an honor to partner and work alongside such a distinguished alumnus as Mark,” Peevy said in a statement. “As we have gotten to know each other over the past few years, it’s been apparent we are aligned in our vision for DePaul University, and specifically the athletics department. I look forward to working more closely with Mark to develop a championship experience in Lincoln Park for our athletes, and jointly pursue community and donor engagement initiatives that allow us to achieve our strategic goals.” 

In his new position, Aguirre’s responsibilities will include strengthening relationships with essential stakeholders, community partners and DePaul supporters. He also will offer strategic advice to the vice president and director of athletics, all in pursuit of advancing DePaul Athletics’ mission, vision and objectives.

Aguirre, a Chicago native, spent three seasons at DePaul, from 1979-1981, and helped lead the team to the Final Four in the NCAA Tournament during his freshman season. By the end of his Blue Demons career, he became the school’s all-time leading scorer with 2,182 points.

After completing three years at DePaul, Aguirre opted out of his senior season and entered the 1981 NBA Draft. He was selected as the first overall pick by the Dallas Mavericks, marking the beginning of a commendable 14-year NBA career. Over the course of his career, he played for three different teams and won two NBA championships with the Detroit Pistons in both 1989 and 1991.

His lasting legacy at DePaul includes inductions into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame in 2016, the Chicagoland Sports Hall of Fame in 2013 and the DePaul Athletics Hall of Fame in 1996.

Aguirre’s partnership with DePaul Athletics could carry substantial weight as the university seeks to restore its once renowned basketball legacy.