The Chicago roast: Lakeview East

Between never-ending papers, rapidly approaching midterms, part-time jobs and internships, it’s hard to be a college student without being a coffee-drinker. Instead of instantly turning to The Bean or Starbucks, grab your backpack and some friends and head over to Lakeview to support one of the many local independent coffeehouses.

Bow Truss Coffee Roasters

Located at 2934 N. Broadway St., Bow Truss Coffee Roasters not only serves as a cozy hangout, but also serves up cups of its own beans roasted right there in the caf’ÛΩ. With vintage toboggans hung on the walls, an old canoe to display their beans and a working turntable stereo made from antique suitcases, Bow Truss gives off a very industrial, yet quirkily rustic feel. The music is as eclectic as the caf’ÛΩ itself – ranging from Phil Collins, to Dolly Parton, to Bruce Springsteen and the employees are as sweet as the vanilla in their lattes.

Suggestions: Since Bow Truss does roast its own beans, keep it simple and try out one of their signature roasts! 

Kickstand Coffee

Hop on the Brown Line north to Wellington and right off the stop you’ll run into Kickstand Coffee. Brewing Metropolis Coffee, a favorite local roaster, Kickstand definitely does not disappoint. This smaller caf’ÛΩ provides a cozy, homey vibe with dark green walls, distressed wood paneling and simplistic art on the walls. Kickstand is located at 824 W. Belmont Ave. and it definitely doesn’t disappoint.

Suggestions: Put a new spin on your drink and order a honey cinnamon latte.